Please help me identify this device in my car

Danger
Gold Member
Apparently not, since I missed it. :grumpy:

NoTime
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
And yet again, we come to that damned light bulb. That's a serious indication that this is an output device, not some sort of sensor. The only reason that I can think of for having a light source within an input unit would be to generate some sort of interference pattern relative to the scanned scene.
I was thinking, output device yes.

Here is an idea, don't know how well it would actually work.
Particularly in daylight, but...

Take two cameras with telephoto lenses.
Put a red color filter on one camera and green on the other.
Move the green filter camera forward of the read a distance equal to the difference between the red/green light path in the box.

With some camera alignment then at one distance from the car
I suspect that summing (may not be quite this simple) the two camera outputs would wash out any background data and leave an image of the slide as the only item with any significant contrast.
Dynamic alignment for car movement could also be possible.

The dots in the cylinder image would give a map for image matching.
With dynamic alignment then having the car move would change the absolute positions of the dots in the cylinder, but not the relative high/low contrast points.

Danger
Gold Member
Hmmm....
I'm not so sure about that. The set-up as you describe it sounds like a basic bi-colour 3-D photography system. Why, though, would someone go to all that trouble to offset the cameras and then alter the beam path to try equalizing the length? That would only make sense (to me, at least) if one was trying to generate interference fringes as in a hologram. In regular parallax based 3-D, the path length isn't critical.

NoTime
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I'm not thinking produce a 3D image.
My idea is that everything in the camera image would be fuzzy and blurry (like the 3D comic books without glasses) except for the cylinder slide image.

As to why go thru the trouble...

I have finally had chance to test the map light theory suggested on gtroc, and I can say that as a map light this is very impractical. The light is barely bright enough and is in totally the wrong position.

The light is bright enough when it leaves the slots, but by the time it reaches the mirror it would be too faint to see whilst driving. I have been outside for about 2 hours so my eyes were pretty accustomed to the light by then.

The beam of light is also far to narrow, it is like looking through a letterbox. The position of the dash and the windscreen rule out some kind of map holder there, as there is not enough space.

The position of the beam of light is also wrong, you have to look up to see the map.

The mirror can be adjusted up and down, however you can't adjust it much or the light gets stopped by the slats and breaks up.

I used my proper camera (Canon 350d dSLR) for these pictures as it is far superior to the little one at low light levels and one thing I did notice on the pictures is that the green/red are split, not combined. The red only accounts for a small fraction of the beam. I don't know if that is significant at all.

http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/9942/img0589fy8.jpg [Broken]
http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/5624/img0590et8.jpg [Broken]
http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/1975/img0592we7.jpg [Broken]
http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/5103/img0593lq9.jpg [Broken]

Cheers

Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
actually i am new user from india ....i want to project work on solar energy can be replace non reneable source of energy in vichles ..... give me ideas from where i have to start

berkeman
Mentor
Welcome to the PF, rajendrajat85. You will not get much help posting a new question at the end of a thread that deals with something completely different. Please start a new thread in this forum, with a title that matches your subject. Something like, "Solar energy vehicles ideas please" or similar. That should get you some good help and ideas.

Well the best answer anyone I know can come up with is that

"It auto tints the windows on both end to deal with glare.

its actually a similar unit that comes in a house."

Danger
Gold Member
Well the best answer anyone I know can come up with is that
Can you provide a source for the quote so that we might investigate it further?