1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help me in starting this problem (Water thru a pipe)

1. Jan 24, 2005 #1
    Water (h=1.00×10–3 Pa·s) is flowing through a horizontal pipe with a volume flow rate of 0.014 m3/s. As the drawing shows, there are two vertical tubes that project from the pipe. From the data in the drawing, find the radius of the horizontal pipe.

I dont have a clue how to start this :cry:
    Please guide me to the right path :)

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2005 #2
    anyone have a clue ?
  4. Jan 24, 2005 #3

Science Advisor

The diagram is telling you what the pressure drop along the pipe is, i.e. the [tex]\Delta P[/tex] Also you are given the flow rate and viscosity. That means you are interested in the equation for viscous flow without any minor losses. If you use an energy balance you should end up with an equation looking something like:

[tex]P_{1} - P_{2} = f (\frac{L}{D})(\frac{\rho V^2}{2})[/tex]

You can then get an equation with D being a function of friction factor and an equation with Reynolds number as a function of diameter. From that point on you'll have to iterate a soulution taking guesses at the friction factor. That will give you a way to calculate D and Re. Once you do that you can compare the friction factor calculated vs. the one you guessed. When they are very close, you will have your diameter. Oh yeah, since it wasn't listed in the problem, you'll have to make an assumption on the relative roughness of the pipe.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?