Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PLease help me in this integration problem

1. May 31, 2005 #1
    PLease help me in solving the following integral!!

[tex]\int{\sqrt{\tanx}dx}[\tex]

please help me as soon as possible because i want to submit my assignment tomorrow

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2005 #2
    [tex]\int{\sqrt{\tan x}dx}[/tex]

I would imagine if you played around with it enough you could get it by parts. I cant see anything obvious though.

4. May 31, 2005 #3
    Or
    [tex]
    \tan{x}=t \Rightarrow \frac{dx}{(\cos{x})^{2}}=dt[/tex], and remember [tex]\frac{1}{(\cos{x})^{2}}=1+(\tan{x})^{2}.[/tex]

5. May 31, 2005 #4
    [tex] x = arctan(u) [/tex]

[tex] dx = \frac{du}{1+u^2} [/tex]

[tex] \int \sqrt{ \tan x} \ dx \Rightarrow \int \frac{\sqrt{ u }}{1+u^2} \ du [/tex]

Can you explain the discrepancy? I cant.

[​IMG]

6. May 31, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's no discrepancy whasoever.The 2 integrals are different.If you were to invert the sub.which you started with,the 2 results would coincide.

Daniel.

7. May 31, 2005 #6
    Oh, ofcourse. How could I forget that.

8. May 31, 2005 #7
    Since this is an indeterminate integral, you have to find the anti derivative of the function [tex] f(x) = \sqrt{\tanx} [/tex]

I would do what whozum did, which I like to call "u-substitution"

[tex] u = \tanx[/tex], so [tex]du = sec^2x dx[/tex] and [tex]dx = \frac{du}{sec^2x}[/tex]

Is this right Whozum?

Using what I got, [tex] dx = \cos^2x du[/tex]
    Can u work from here ?

Last edited: May 31, 2005
  9. May 31, 2005 #8
    Yeah, you've derived the same result as I have, from there I think parts is the way to go.

10. May 31, 2005 #9
    Please help me a little more

Thanks a lot for ur precious help!

friends! im still having a little problem in solving it. please can u people help me a little further to solve this integral.

thanks in advance!

11. May 31, 2005 #10
    I can't provide any real help to the answer of this integral, but I did do it online and I've attached the answer. It's long, but maybe it will provide some insight.

Jameson

Attached Files:

12. May 31, 2005 #11
    Well it's not that difficult or ugly... After the substitution i pointed out it is simply:
    [tex]\int{\sqrt{t}(t^{2}+1)dt}=...=\frac{2}{7}(\tan{x})^{\frac{7}{2}}+\frac{2}{3}(\tan{x})^{\frac{3}{2}}+C [/tex]

13. May 31, 2005 #12
    Oggy the final integral is

[tex] \int \frac{\sqrt{ u }}{1+u^2} \ du [/tex]

14. May 31, 2005 #13
    [tex] \int \frac{\sqrt{ u }}{1+u^2} \ du [/tex]

[tex] g = \sqrt{u} \ \ \ h = arctan(u) [/tex]

[tex] dg = \frac{1}{2\sqrt{u}}\ du \ \ \ dh = \frac{1}{1+u^2} du [/tex]

[tex] \int g dh = gh - \int h dg [/tex]

[tex] \int \frac{\sqrt u}{1+u^2} du = \sqrt{u}\ arctan u - \int \frac{arctan(u)}{2\sqrt{u}} du [/tex]

Last edited: May 31, 2005
  15. Jun 1, 2005 #14
    Yep u^2+1 should be in the denominator. Sorry

16. Jun 1, 2005 #15
    Thanks once again but what is its final answer

Hi Guys

thank you very much for ur tremendous help. You people are really very helpful.

Now whozum!

i have tried to solve this integral, from the point where u have left it. but im getting a zero answer.

why is its so.

should i try to solve it further from the point where u have left it or should i stop it there. if further solution is required then what will be the right answer so that i should get it.

Please PLease help me! this question has now become a challenge for me.

Thanks in advance!

17. Jun 1, 2005 #16

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Here's how it's done.

[tex] I=\int\sqrt{\tan x} \ dx [/tex] (1)

Assuming the tangent is defined on an interval on which is positive,so we don't run into complex valued functions,one makes fisrt sub

[tex] \tan x=t^{2} [/tex] (2)

[tex] dx=\frac{2t}{1+t^{4}} dt [/tex] (3)

Then

[tex] I=2\int \frac{t^{2}}{1+t^{4}} \ dt [/tex] (4)

Use the trick

[tex] 1+t^{4}=\left(1+t^{2}\right)^{2}-\left(\sqrt{2}t\right)^{2} [/tex] (5)

,so that (4) becomes

[tex] I=2\int \frac{t^{2}}{\left(1+\sqrt{2}t+t^{2}\right)\left(1-\sqrt{2}t+t^{2}\right)} \ dx [/tex] (6)

Use partial fractions and maybe partial integrations...

Daniel.

18. Jun 1, 2005 #17

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex] I=2\int \frac{t^{2}}{\left(1+\sqrt{2}t+t^{2}\right)\left(1 -\sqrt{2}t+t^{2}\right)} \ dx [/tex]

Can someone check through Maple whether the answer to this is consistent with the original integral?

19. Jun 1, 2005 #18

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you're doubting the calculations exposed above and,incidentally,not shortcut,why won't you put a pencil in your precious hand and grab a piece of paper and do it...?

Sides,Maple is a known f***-up.:tongue2:

Daniel.

20. Jun 1, 2005 #19
    I don't think that's right; I think it should be:
    [tex]\frac{-\sqrt{2}(\ln(\vert(\sqrt{2\tan (x)}+1)\cos (x) + \sin (x)\vert)-\ln(\vert(\sqrt{2\tan (x)}-1)\cos (x) - \sin(x)\vert)-2(\tan^{-1}(\sqrt{2\tan (x)}+1)+\tan^{-1}(\sqrt{2\tan(x)}-1)))}{4}[/tex]

21. Jun 1, 2005 #20
    I don't think
    [tex] I=2\int \frac{t^{2}}{\left(1+\sqrt{2}t+t^{2}\right)\left(1 -\sqrt{2}t+t^{2}\right)} \ dx [/tex]
    is consistent with the original integral, because that would be [itex]-\cos^2 x[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?