How do I solve an integral using partial fractions?

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with integrating a homework problem involving the equation \int dx/(1-x^2)^3. They mention using partial fractions and expanding the denominator, but are unsure of how to proceed. Another person responds by advising them to factor the equation instead of expanding it, and provides the necessary steps to solve the problem. The conversation concludes with the first person expressing gratitude and confidence in being able to solve the problem now.
Davidk1
Please help me integrate homework :(

[/tex]

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

\int dx/(1-x^2)^3

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe I have to use partial fractions to solve this integral. I started out by expanding the denominator

1/-(1 - 3x^2 + 3x^4 - x^6)

I pulled out a negative then separated by polynomial

x^4 (x^2 + 3) - 3(x^2 + 3) - 8

so:
-(x^4 - 3)(x^2 + 3) - 8

I'm lost..I need help

Physics news on Phys.org

Davidk1 said:
[/tex]

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

\int dx/(1-x^2)^3

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe I have to use partial fractions to solve this integral. I started out by expanding the denominator

1/-(1 - 3x^2 + 3x^4 - x^6)
Why in the world would you expand it? You want to factor it. It is already partly factored, don't throw that away! 1- x2= (1- x)(1+ x) so
(1-x2)3= (1- x)3(1+ x)3

[tex]\frac{1}{(1- x^2)^3}= \frac{A}{1-x}+ \frac{B}{(1-x)^2}+ \frac{C}{(1- x)^3}+ \frac{D}{1+ x}+ \frac{E}{(1+x)^2}+ \frac{F}{(1+x)^3}[/tex]

I pulled out a negative then separated by polynomial

x^4 (x^2 + 3) - 3(x^2 + 3) - 8

so:
-(x^4 - 3)(x^2 + 3) - 8

I'm lost..I need help

Thank You! I know I can solve it now!

1. How do I integrate my homework into my daily routine?

Integrating homework into your daily routine can be challenging, but it's important to prioritize your school work. One helpful tip is to set a specific time each day for homework, whether it's right after school or before bed. This will help you stay on track and make homework a regular part of your routine.

2. What are some effective studying techniques for completing homework?

There are many effective studying techniques for completing homework, but it's important to find what works best for you. Some techniques include creating flashcards, making study guides, or practicing active reading. It's also helpful to study in a quiet and distraction-free environment.

3. How can I manage my time when integrating homework into my schedule?

Managing your time is essential when integrating homework into your schedule. Start by breaking down your homework into smaller, manageable tasks and setting realistic deadlines for each task. It's also important to prioritize your assignments and focus on the most important ones first.

4. What should I do if I don't understand the homework material?

If you don't understand the homework material, it's important to reach out for help. You can ask your teacher for clarification or attend a tutoring session. It's also helpful to form study groups with classmates and work together to understand the material.

5. Is it important to take breaks while completing homework?

Yes, it's important to take breaks while completing homework. It can be tempting to power through and finish all your assignments at once, but taking short breaks can actually improve your productivity and prevent burnout. Make sure to take breaks every hour or so, and use that time to stretch, get a snack, or do something you enjoy.