Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help me integrate

1. Dec 3, 2009 #1
    I am working on a problem (not homework) on diffusion and have landed up with an integral which I simply cannot integrate. No method seems to work.

I shall first describe the problem a little for you to check if I have landed up on the correct route, and then present the integral.

According to Fick's law, the flux of particles(Fl) crossing a point can be given by

[tex]F_{l}[/tex] = [tex]- D \frac{\partial P(x,t)}{\partial x} [/tex]

where D is some constant.

My problem is concerned only with first passages, so I have been told to assume that there is an absorbing barrier at a certain length l away from the origin. The particle starts its motion from the origin and its motion is a diffusion process with equal probability of moving in either direction. Hence, a Guassian distribution is going to be used as the model.

P(x,t) = [exp([tex]\frac{-x^{2}}{2Dt}[/tex]) - exp([tex]\frac{-l^{2}}{2Dt}[/tex])]/ [tex]\sqrt{2Dt}[/tex]

On differentiating this term with respect to x only the first term survives.

Now here comes my problem: I am supposed to find the mean time <T>, that the particle takes to hit the wall. Here is the integral:

<T> = [tex]\frac{\int_{0}^{\infty} t F_{l}dt}{\int_{0}^{\infty}F_{l}dt}[/tex]

= [tex]\frac{
    \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{
    exp[-x^{2}/2Dt]}{\sqrt{t}
    }dt
    }

{\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{
    exp[-x^{2}/2Dt]dt}{t \sqrt{t}
    }}
    [/tex]

I have a feeling this integral on the numerator might be unbounded. How do I integrate it? Following this I also have to do the case where the probability of moving towards any one side is biased. Any hints?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2009 #2
    Both integrals can be integrated using a substitition t = 1/z^2. Your numerator diverges. Check the expression for P, Wikipedia states that you should have erf instead of exp.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook