Finding Non-Negative Points on Line L: Vector Equations Explained

In summary, the discussion is about a given equation of a line and a question asking to find the vector equation of a line segment that consists of points on the line with nonnegative coordinates. There is confusion about whether the vector should be from the origin to the point or along the line itself. It is suggested that the question may be asking for a restriction on the scalar parameter. It is also mentioned that it may be standard practice to parametrize the segment so that the scalar parameter spans the interval [0, 1].
skyturnred

Homework Statement

So we are given the equation of a line and asked to do a bunch of stuff with it. When I get to the following question, I just don't understand what it is asking.

The line:

L=(2,2,5)+t(2,-1,1), where t is an element of the reals

Question:

Let S be the the line segment consisting of the points on L whose coordinates are all nonnegative (that is, S is the intersection of L with the first octant). Find the vector equation of S.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't quite understand what they're asking.. I know that at a point, all of the coordinates of the points on line L will be negative. But are they asking us to simply find a vector from the origin to the point at which this happens? Or are they asking us to find a vector along the line that represents all of these points (which doesn't make sense to me because in my mind that vector would be infinitely long).

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Could it just be a restriction on t?

I was actually thinking that too.. but it seems too simple to be worth 4 points in my assignment.

Is it standard practice to parametrize the segment so that when the scalar parameter spans the interval [0, 1], the vector parametrization spans the entire segment ?

1. What is the definition of a non-negative point on a line?

A non-negative point on a line is a point that has only positive coordinates in relation to the origin. This means that both the x-coordinate and y-coordinate must be greater than or equal to zero.

2. How do you find non-negative points on a line using vector equations?

To find non-negative points on a line using vector equations, you can set up a system of equations where the first equation represents the x-coordinate and the second equation represents the y-coordinate. Then, you can solve for the values of x and y that make both equations greater than or equal to zero.

3. What are the benefits of using vector equations to find non-negative points on a line?

Using vector equations to find non-negative points on a line allows for a more efficient and precise method of calculation. It also allows for the incorporation of multiple variables and equations, making it useful for more complex problems.

4. Can non-negative points on a line be found without using vector equations?

Yes, non-negative points on a line can also be found using other methods such as graphing or substitution. However, using vector equations is often the most efficient and accurate method.

5. How can finding non-negative points on a line be applied in real-world situations?

Finding non-negative points on a line can be applied in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. For example, it can be used to optimize production processes, analyze the feasibility of a project, or determine the most cost-effective solution for a problem.