Please help me,, Mastering physic rounding number

• Thread starter cupcake
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physic
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in mastering physics where a photon of given wavelength is scattered at a certain angle and the task is to find the wavelength of the scattered light and the change in energy of the photon. After providing the correct answer for the wavelength, there is a discrepancy when trying to find the change in energy. To resolve this, it is important to use full precision when calculating and not round down any values. Ultimately, the energies are accurate to the nearest 1eV.
cupcake
please help me,, Mastering physic.. rounding number :(

A photon of wavelength 4.38×10^−2 nm strikes a free electron and is scattered at an angle of 38.0 degree from its original direction.

Find the wavelength of the scattered light.
and my answer is this 4.43×10−2 nm (correct answer)

Find the change in energy of the photon.

E= hc / lambda1 = 1.24*10^-6 / (0.0438*10^-9) = 28310.50 eV

E= hc/ lambda2 = 1.24*10^-6 / (0.0443*10^-9) = 27990.97

and the change in energy is 319.529..
i have tried to enter 319 or 320 but mastering physics gave me

"Not quite. Check through your calculations; you may have made a rounding error or used the wrong number of significant figures."

please help to round this... TT

***hate mastering physics...

Physics news on Phys.org

Since the wavelength was given to 3 significant figures, the energies are each known to 3 significant figures.

This makes the two energies accurate to the nearest ___ eV.

Does that help?

Redbelly98 said:
This makes the two energies accurate to the nearest ___ eV.

Does that help?

what did you mean by the nearest ____ eV??

so, what number should i enter?
320 and 319 don't help much...

i already lost some points because of it.. :(

cupcake said:
E= hc/ lambda2 = 1.24*10^-6 / (0.0443*10^-9) = 27990.97

If I understand correctly you have used rounded down 443 to calculate energy here - you should use whatever came out from the calculator. Use full precision when calculating, rounded down values are for reporting only.

cupcake said:
what did you mean by the nearest ____ eV??
I mean, is it accurate to the nearest 1eV, 10eV, 100eV, or what? Remember, we're using 3 significant figures here.

1. What is rounding and why is it important in physics?

Rounding is the process of approximating a number to a certain degree of accuracy. In physics, it is important because it allows us to simplify calculations and make them more manageable. Rounding also helps to reduce errors and uncertainty in measurements.

2. How do I round numbers in physics?

In physics, numbers are typically rounded to a certain number of significant figures. To round a number, first determine the desired number of significant figures and then look at the digit to the right of the last significant figure. If this digit is 5 or greater, round up the last significant figure. If the digit is less than 5, leave the last significant figure as is. If the digit is exactly 5, round the last significant figure up if it is followed by a non-zero digit, or leave it as is if it is followed by a zero.

3. What is the difference between rounding up and rounding down?

Rounding up means increasing the last significant figure by one, while rounding down means keeping the last significant figure the same. For example, if we have the number 3.25 and we want to round to 2 significant figures, rounding up would give us 3.3 while rounding down would give us 3.2.

4. Can rounding affect the accuracy of my calculations in physics?

Yes, rounding can affect the accuracy of calculations in physics. Rounding introduces a degree of uncertainty into a calculation, which can compound with each subsequent calculation. Therefore, it is important to use the appropriate number of significant figures and to be aware of the potential effects of rounding on the accuracy of your results.

5. Are there any rules or guidelines for rounding numbers in physics?

Yes, there are a few rules and guidelines for rounding numbers in physics. Firstly, only round numbers after completing all calculations. Secondly, when multiplying or dividing, the result should have the same number of significant figures as the number with the fewest significant figures. Lastly, when adding or subtracting, the result should have the same number of decimal places as the number with the fewest decimal places.