Please help me on this FORCES problem

• Thread starter emeraldempres
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, a skier of mass 61.0 kg starts from rest at the top of a ski slope of height 61.0 m. If frictional forces do −1.04×104 J of work on her as she descends, she will be going at a speed of 34.57 m/s at the bottom of the slope. When she moves horizontally across a patch of soft snow with a coefficient of friction of 0.180 and a width of 68.0 m, the average force of air resistance on her is 180 N. After crossing the patch, she hits a snowdrift and penetrates a distance of 3.00 m before coming to a stop. The average force exerted
emeraldempres
A skier of mass 61.0 kg starts from rest at the top of a ski slope of height 61.0 m.
a)If frictional forces do −1.04×104 J of work on her as she descends, how fast is she going at the bottom of the slope?

b)Now moving horizontally, the skier crosses a patch of soft snow, where the coefficient of friction is = 0.180. If the patch is of width 68.0 m and the average force of air resistance on the skier is 180 N, how fast is she going after crossing the patch?

c)After crossing the patch of soft snow, the skier hits a snowdrift and penetrates a distance 3.00 m into it before coming to a stop. What is the average force exerted on her by the snowdrift as it stops her?

I have only started attacking part a and i looked at the other parts and do not know where to start.

on part a i started by using the eqquation work = .5 (mass)(velocity^2) but my answer was wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use energy methods. What's her starting mechanical energy? How much of that energy is "lost" to friction? How much is left when she gets to the bottom of the hill?

By the work-energy theorem, [tex]0=\Delta E_{mech}+\Delta E_{therm}[/tex]
Hence, by for problems with kinetic friction,
[tex]W_{ext}=\Delta E_{mech}+\Delta E_{therm}[/tex] where [tex]E_{mech}=\Delta U+\Delta K[/tex]

where U = potential energy, K = kinetic energy, and therm is the energy lost. You will then be able to find [tex]K_{f}=\frac{1}{2}mv_{i}^2[/tex]

in trying this, i tried to find the potential energy which i found to be 36465.8 N by using u= mgy (m=61 kg, g= 9.8 meters per second squared, y= 61 m). in doing that the only unknown i had was velocity and it came out to be 34.57 m/s and that was wrong.. did i mess up?

her starting mechanical energy is 0 right?

she lost -1.04*10^4 J to friction

and i do not know how to calulate how much is left at the bottom

[tex]\Delat U = K_{f}+\Delta E_{therm}[/tex] Ok, so you know that [tex]E_{therm}=-1.04*10^4 J[/tex] and you just calculated U. Now, find [tex]K_{f}[/tex]. Then, solve for [tex]v_{f}[/tex]

thank you. i got the answer
this is what i did
36465.8=.5*61v^2+1.04*10^4
26065=.5*61*v^2
854.61=v^2
v=29.2

on part b i find the kinetic force to be 107.6 N and the kinetic energy to 26005.52 N. am i correct in thinking that the kinectic force is going to be energy that gets converted into thermal energy?

emeraldempres said:
on part b i find the kinetic force to be 107.6 N
That's the friction force. Don't forget air resistance.
and the kinetic energy to 26005.52 N.
That's the initial KE.
am i correct in thinking that the kinectic force is going to be energy that gets converted into thermal energy?
The work done against the combined force of friction and air resistance will equal the mechanical energy that gets converted to thermal energy.

1. What are forces?

Forces are interactions between objects that cause them to accelerate, change direction, or deform. They can be described using Newton's laws of motion and are typically measured in units of Newtons (N).

2. How do I solve a forces problem?

To solve a forces problem, you first need to identify all the forces acting on the object(s) in question. Then, use Newton's second law (F=ma) to calculate the net force, taking into account the direction and magnitude of each force. Finally, use the net force and the mass of the object(s) to calculate the acceleration.

3. What is the difference between net force and individual forces?

Net force is the sum of all the individual forces acting on an object. Individual forces may act in different directions and cancel each other out, resulting in a net force of zero. Net force is what ultimately determines an object's motion, while individual forces contribute to the overall net force.

4. What are common types of forces encountered in physics?

Some common types of forces include gravity, friction, normal force, tension, and applied force. Other types of forces include spring force, air resistance, and magnetic force. Each of these forces plays a role in different situations and can be calculated using specific formulas.

5. What are some real-life examples of forces?

Forces are present in many everyday situations. For example, gravity keeps us grounded on Earth, while friction allows us to walk without slipping. Other examples include the force of a car's engine propelling it forward, the force of a bat hitting a baseball, and the force of air resistance on a parachute.