Proving Subset Equality in Vector Spaces: S1∩S2 ⊆ S1 ∧ S2

• Thread starter kNYsJakE
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof Span
In summary, we proved that for two subsets S_1 and S_2 of a vector space V, span(S_1\capS_2) is a subset of the intersection of span(S_1) and span(S_2). We also found an example where span(S_1\capS_2) and span(S_1)\capspan(S_2) are equal, and one where they are unequal. We also showed that given a subspace, there can be many distinct bases for it, which allows us to find examples where span(S_1\capS_2) and span(S_1)\capspan(S_2) are unequal.
kNYsJakE
The Problem:
Let [tex]S_{1}[/tex] and [tex]S_{2}[/tex] be subsets of a vector space [tex]V[/tex]. Prove that [tex]span\left(S_{1}\cap S_{2}\right)\subseteq span\left(S_{1}\right)\cap span\left(S_{2}\right)[/tex].
Give an example in which [tex]span\left(S_{1}\cap S_{2}\right)[/tex] and [tex]span\left(S_{1}\right)\cap span\left(S_{2}\right)[/tex] are equal and one in which they are unequal.

Solution:
I could do the proof, so that is not a problem. I found an example when they are equal to each other, but I can't think of an example that those two are not equal. It'd be nice if you could explain it in general case, but it is okay if you just give me an example. Please help me on this!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
kNYsJakE said:
The Problem:
Let S_1 and S_2 be subsets of a vector space V. Prove that span(S_1[tex]\bigcap[/tex]S_2)[tex]\subseteq[/tex]Span(S_1)[tex]\bigcap[/tex]Span(S_2). Give an example in which span(S_1[tex]\bigcap[/tex]S_2) and span(S_1)[tex]\bigcap[/tex]span(S_2) are equal and one in which the are unequal.

Solution:
I could do the proof, so that is not a problem. I found an example when they are equal to each other, but I can't think of an example that those two are not equal. It'd be nice if you could explain it in general case, but it is okay if you just give me an example. Please help me on this!

Can you find two sets S_1, S_2 so that their intersection is empty, but they each span the whole space V ?

By the way, doesn't [tex]S_1\cap S_2[/tex] look better than S_1[tex]\bigcap[/tex]S_2 ?

kNYsJakE said:
The Problem:
Let [tex]S_{1}[/tex] and [tex]S_{2}[/tex] be subsets of a vector space [tex]V[/tex]. Prove that [tex]span\left(S_{1}\bigcap S_{2}\right)\subseteq span\left(S_{1}\right)\bigcap span\left(S_{2}\right)[/tex].
Give an example in which [tex]span\left(S_{1}\bigcap S_{2}\right)[/tex] and [tex]span\left(S_{1}\right)\bigcap span\left(S_{2}\right)[/tex] are equal and one in which they are unequal.

Solution:

test

Last edited:
kNYsJakE said:
The Problem:
Let [tex]S_{1}[/tex] and [tex]S_{2}[/tex] be subsets of a vector space [tex]V[/tex]. Prove that [tex]span\left(S_{1}\cap S_{2}\right)\subseteq span\left(S_{1}\right)\cap span\left(S_{2}\right)[/tex].
Give an example in which [tex]span\left(S_{1}\cap S_{2}\right)[/tex] and [tex]span\left(S_{1}\right)\cap span\left(S_{2}\right)[/tex] are equal and one in which they are unequal.

Solution:

fixed

g_edgar said:
Can you find two sets S_1, S_2 so that their intersection is empty, but they each span the whole space V ?

By the way, doesn't [tex]S_1\cap S_2[/tex] look better than S_1[tex]\bigcap[/tex]S_2 ?

Yes. so that means [tex]span\left(S_1\cap S_2)[/tex] equal to a zero set [tex]\left\{0\right\}[/tex]?

And since both [tex]span(s_1)[/tex] and [tex]span(s_2)[/tex] are subspaces of V, they both have a zero set as well, so [tex]span(s_1)\cap span(s_2)[/tex] also should be a zero set. That meas they are equal. I didn't get your answer... Sorry

Linear Algebra. spans!

Homework Statement

The Problem:

Homework Equations

Nothing.

The Attempt at a Solution

Solution:

kNYsJakE said:
Yes. so that means [tex]span\left(S_1\cap S_2)[/tex] equal to a zero set [tex]\left\{0\right\}[/tex]?

And since both [tex]span(s_1)[/tex] and [tex]span(s_2)[/tex] are subspaces of V, they both have a zero set as well, so [tex]span(s_1)\cap span(s_2)[/tex] also should be a zero set. That meas they are equal. I didn't get your answer... Sorry

Find [tex]S_1[/tex] and [tex]S_2[/tex] so that [tex]S_1 \cap S_2 = \emptyset[/tex], [tex]\text{span}(S_1) = V[/tex] and [tex]\text{span}(S_2) = V[/tex] .

Take V=R, S_1={1}, S_2={2}. Then S_1 n S_2 is empty, so span(S_1 n S_2)=0. And span(S_1)=R=span(S_2) so span(S_1) n span(S_2)=R.

More generally, let S_1={v_1,...,v_k} be a basis for a subspace W of V and let S_2={u_1,...,u_k} be another basis for that subspace such that {v_1,...,v_k} n {u_1,...,u_k} is empty (for instance, u_i=2v_i). Then span(S_1 n S_2)=0, while span(S_1) n span(S_2)=W.

The idea behind the example is of course that given a subspace, there are many distinct basis for it.

g_edgar said:
Find [tex]S_1[/tex] and [tex]S_2[/tex] so that [tex]S_1 \cap S_2 = \emptyset[/tex], [tex]\text{span}(S_1) = V[/tex] and [tex]\text{span}(S_2) = V[/tex] .

Yeah. That's what i meant.

Well, thanks.

quasar987 said:
Take V=R, S_1={1}, S_2={2}. Then S_1 n S_2 is empty, so span(S_1 n S_2)=0. And span(S_1)=R=span(S_2) so span(S_1) n span(S_2)=R.

More generally, let S_1={v_1,...,v_k} be a basis for a subspace W of V and let S_2={u_1,...,u_k} be another basis for that subspace such that {v_1,...,v_k} n {u_1,...,u_k} is empty (for instance, u_i=2v_i). Then span(S_1 n S_2)=0, while span(S_1) n span(S_2)=W.

The idea behind the example is of course that given a subspace, there are many distinct basis for it.

Thank you! =)

I suggest that you consider subsets S1 and S2 of [itex]\mathbb R^3[/itex] that each contain exactly two vectors.

Don't post the same question in two forums.

I have merged the other thread with this one.

1. What is a "span" in the context of a proof?

A "span" in a proof refers to the set of all linear combinations of a given set of vectors. It is denoted as Span{v1, v2, ..., vn} and can also be thought of as the subspace generated by these vectors.

2. How do I prove that a vector is in the span of a given set of vectors?

To prove that a vector is in the span of a given set of vectors, you can write the vector as a linear combination of the given vectors and show that the coefficients satisfy the equation. Another approach is to show that the given vector can be obtained by performing linear operations on the given vectors.

3. Can a set of vectors have more than one span?

Yes, a set of vectors can have multiple spans. This is because there can be different combinations of the given vectors that can generate the same subspace. However, the set of all these spans will be equivalent to each other.

4. How is the span related to linear independence?

A set of vectors is linearly independent if none of the vectors can be expressed as a linear combination of the others. If a set of vectors is linearly independent, then its span will be the entire vector space. On the other hand, if a set of vectors is linearly dependent, then its span will be a subspace of the vector space.

5. What is the significance of the span in linear algebra?

The concept of span is important in linear algebra because it helps us understand the structure and relationships between vectors. It also allows us to define subspaces and study their properties. The span of a set of vectors is also used to determine linear independence and solve systems of linear equations.