1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help me out

1. Apr 7, 2006 #1
    [tex]2a \sum (2x_i)^2 + 2b \sum x_i - 2 \sum x_i y_i [/tex] I need to set it equal to zero and solve for a.

[tex] 2a \sum x_i + 2nb - 2\sum y_i [/tex]

and solve for b.

I need a hint so i can start doing it, it confuses me all those adding symbols.

The Answer the book came up with is:

[tex] a= \frac{(n\sum x_i y_i - \sum x_i \sum y_i)} {(n \sum (x_i)^2 - (\sum x_i)^2} [/tex]

[tex] b= \frac{1 / n} (\sum y_i - a \sum x_i) [/tex]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

First of all, these look like simple algebraic manipulations. a and b are not inside any of the summations, so solving for them is straightforward. The solution for b looks fine (simple re-ordering of the equation), but the answer for a looks wrong. like, where did the n come from? Could that be the answer to a different question or something?

Do the 2nd one first to see how easy it is. Then re-check the first problem statement and answer to be sure you have them synchronized.

4. Apr 8, 2006 #3

Thank you for your help!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?