1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please Help me (problems with rotating cylinder)

1. Feb 11, 2006 #1
    Hi. I have a problem about rolling motion. Suppose that I have a large hollow cylinder. A smaller solid cylinder is embedded inside the larger hollow cylinder.
    [​IMG]
    When I positioned the cylinder on a flat ramp like the picture below:
    [​IMG]
    The cylinder will start oscillating back and forth as the weight of the extra mass provide a torque, causing the cylinder to rotate.
    [​IMG]
    My question is, suppose that the value of [tex]\Beta[/tex] initially was [tex]\pi/4[/tex] before the cylinder is released and start rolling, how can I calculate the time it takes before the [tex]\theta[/tex] reaches a value of [tex]\pi[/tex] (when the extra mass is directly above the point P)?

Suppose that the torque caused by the weight of the smaller cylinder is [tex]M_1gxsin\theta[/tex] and the Moment of Inertia is: [tex]M_2R_2+0.5 M_1r_1^2[/tex]. I can then figured out the equation for angular acceleration, which is: [tex]\displaystyle{\frac{M_1gxsin\theta}{ M_2R_2+0.5 M_1r_1^2}}[/tex]

However, what I don’t know any formula that relates [tex]\theta[/tex] as a function of time. How can I find the time it takes for the smaller cylinder to move from an initial displacement of [tex]\pi/4[/tex] befor the cylinder is released until the value of angular displacement is [tex]\pi[/tex]’ i.e. when it’s directly above the point P, assuming that there is NO friction.

I know that there’s a formula relating [tex]\alpha\times\theta[/tex]:
    [tex]\omega_t^2=\omega_0^2+2\alpha\theta[/tex]

Does it mean that if I integrate:
    [tex]\int_ {\pi/4}^{\pi} \alpha d\theta[/tex]

Will I get the value of [tex]0.5\times\omega_t^2[/tex] when [tex]\theta[/tex] is [tex]\pi[/tex]? (with the assumption that the value of [tex]\omega_0[/tex] initially is 0 rad/s)? From dimensional analysis, I know that integrating that the integration will give me the value of [tex] constant\times\omega^2[/tex]

If that’s true, then I can figured out the average angular acceleration to calculate the time it takes for the extra mass to travel from [tex]\pi/4[/tex] to [tex]\pi[/tex].

Is there another approach to solve this problem?

Thank you very much for your help....

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2006 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

First of all, this is a homework problem which belongs in the Homework sections, not in the tutorial section. This thread will be moved.

Secondly, without dispersive forces, e.g. friction, one should obtain a simple harmonic motion, and [itex]\omega[/itex] = [itex]\dot{\theta}[/itex], and [itex]\alpha[/itex] = [itex]\dot{\omega}[/itex].

4. Feb 17, 2006 #3

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have moved it to HW help.

kendro, in the future, please don't post threads in multiple forums, and place homework and textbook problems in the homework help section.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?