1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help me simplify this. The answer must be choices 1 through 6. Please help me!

1. Sep 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

simplify the expression: f(x) = x+1 - x^2/x+2,
    1/x^2 -4

2. Relevant equations
    leaving the answer as a quadratic polynomial.

1. = 3x^2 + 4x + 4
    2. = x^2-4x + 4
    3. x^2 -4x - 4
    4. 3x^2 +4x - 4
    5. x^2 +4x - 4
    6. 3x^2 -4x -4

3. The attempt at a solution
    I got 6 but I think that is wrong. The comma is confusing me. Please help.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Please help me simplify this. The answer must be choices 1 through 6. Please help

As written, your first expression means
    [tex]x+1-\frac{x^2}{x}+2 = x+1-x+2 = 3.[/tex]
    Did you actually mean
    [tex]x+1 - \frac{x^2}{x+2} \text{ or } \frac{x+1-x^2}{x+2}\,?[/tex]
    If you mean the first, write it as x+1 - x^2/(x+2) [note the bracket!]; if you mean the second, write it as (x + 1 - x^2)/(x+2) [Note both brackets.]

RGV

4. Sep 4, 2012 #3
    Re: Please help me simplify this. The answer must be choices 1 through 6. Please help

I mean the first one.

5. Sep 4, 2012 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

OK, so re-writing what you wrote we now have x+1 - x^2/(x+2), 1/x^2-4. Does this mean two separate expressions (namely, x+1 - x^2/(x+2) and either (1/x^2) - 4 or 1/(x^2-4)), or does ...,1/x^2-4 stand for something else that I cannot figure out?

RGV

6. Sep 4, 2012 #5

That's what is bothering me. The comma makes no sense. Do you mind telling me your email so I can just email the picture I snapped of the problem? It might make more sense to see it as is. If not, do you know how I can link a photo to the forum post?

7. Sep 4, 2012 #6

Mentallic

Homework Helper

There's an insert image button just underneath the smiley in your reply options. I think you'll need to upload the image onto the net though, using imageshack or some other site.

8. Sep 4, 2012 #7

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

You can also upload an image to PF and "attach" it to your post, provided it meets certain size restrictions. Use the "Manage Attachments" button below the message-entry pane. You'll see the size restrictions then.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook