Please help me solve a vehicle cornering problem?

• Thread starter AJH1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vehicle
In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving a standard car and a racing car driving around a circle and how to calculate the critical speed at which both cars will lose traction. The formula given to calculate the answer involves the final velocity, coefficient of grip, gravity, and the radius of the circle. However, with the added downforce of the racing car, the formula needs to be adjusted. The person asking for help is directed to look at the basic formula and derivation to figure out how to incorporate the downforce into the calculation.
AJH1
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and this is my first post...so go easy!
I have a physics problem to solve and if possible I would love a bit of help here.

This is the question:
A standard car is driven around in a measured circle, increasing its speed as it goes and is able to reach 85mph before it loses traction and slides away. A racing car, with spoilers and wings fitted, produces twice the amount of downforce as the standard car. It is driven around the same circle and in the same circumstances. How fast can the racing car drive around the circle until it too breaks away and loses traction.
The formula given to calculate the answer is:

v =[Square root of] u g r (where v = final velocity, u = co-efficient of grip and is a constant, g = gravity, and r = radius of circle.)

Given that gravity would normally be a constant at land level (I believe) and the coefficient of grip is a constant, I am struggling to understand how the doubled downforce would fit into this equation. Hence, how would I calculate the critical speed of the racing car?

Any help here would be much appreciated.

AJH.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi and welcome to PF.
If this is a homework / coursework question it really should be in the appropriate forum (see rules at the top of the General Physics Forum.
Do you have any ideas about this, before PF steps into help? We do so hate to spoon feed people. Looking at that formula, do you know how it has been arrived at? In arriving at it, the mass of the car (leading to its weight) has been canceled out. That formula, as it stands, assumes that just the mass of the car is involved. What should be different in the formula when applied to the racing car? (Going back to the basic formula and derivation could give you a clue about that.)
See this link
and this link
See if you can figure it out, with the help of the links.

1. What is a vehicle cornering problem?

A vehicle cornering problem refers to any issue that affects the ability of a vehicle to turn or maneuver around a corner. This can include difficulties with steering, tire grip, suspension, or overall stability.

2. What are the common causes of a vehicle cornering problem?

There are several potential causes of a vehicle cornering problem, including worn or damaged tires, misaligned wheels, suspension issues, and weight distribution imbalances. Additionally, driver error or environmental factors such as road conditions can also contribute to cornering problems.

3. How can I diagnose a vehicle cornering problem?

Diagnosing a vehicle cornering problem typically involves a thorough inspection of the vehicle's tires, wheels, suspension, and steering components. You may also need to test drive the vehicle to observe any handling issues. It can be helpful to consult a mechanic or refer to the vehicle's manual for troubleshooting guidance.

4. Are there any solutions to a vehicle cornering problem?

The appropriate solution for a vehicle cornering problem will depend on the specific cause. For example, if the issue is with the tires, replacing them with new ones may improve handling. If it is an alignment issue, adjusting the wheels can help. It is important to address the root cause of the problem rather than just treating the symptoms.

5. How can I prevent a vehicle cornering problem in the future?

Regular maintenance and proper driving habits can help prevent vehicle cornering problems. It is essential to keep tires inflated to the correct pressure, regularly rotate and replace them when necessary, and have wheels aligned as needed. Additionally, safe and cautious driving can help reduce wear and tear on the vehicle's components, which can contribute to cornering issues.