1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please Help Me Solve this Integral

1. Oct 30, 2005 #1
    Hey guys, I'm having trouble solving this definite integral. I'm doing work with polar equations and I was led to this:

[​IMG]

which I simplified to

[​IMG]

And, using the trig identity cos(x)^2 = (1 + cos(2x))/2, I got this

[​IMG]

Which then simplifies down to 0. But that is the wrong answer. I know for a fact that the answer is 8. Even Mathematica says the answer is 8. I'm pretty sure my problem lies in the step where I removed the square root, but I don't see what exactly I did wrong. Why is it wrong, and what can I do to evaluate this integral correctly? Thankyou to anyone who helps.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2005 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Rewrite the original integral as 4 times the integral from 0 to pi/2 which you can justify from the properties of sine and cosine - that should avoid confusion.

4. Oct 30, 2005 #3
    But the integral from 0 to pi/2 is 2*sqrt(2). 4 times that equals 8*sqrt(2). edit: nevermind, I see what you were saying.

Is there a way to do this problem without changing the bounds? I mean since the cosine function is negative from pi/2 to 3pi/2 isn't there a way to rewrite the integral as two or more integrals or something? My teacher did this on the board but I cannot remember what he did, he talked too fast.

Edit: but a big part of what I'm really trying to figure out is why that last step is wrong. It seems like it works just perfectly. I know it has something to do with cosine being negative but why does that affect it? Doesn't the fact that it's being squared make a difference?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2005
  5. Oct 30, 2005 #4

benorin

Homework Helper

[itex]\sqrt{(1+\cos(x))^2+(-\sin(x))^2}=\sqrt{1+2\cos(x)+\cos^2(x)+\sin^2(x)}=\sqrt{2+2\cos(x)}[/itex]
    no square on the cosine.

6. Oct 30, 2005 #5
    Hmm I don't really understand the point you're making... Argh I'm stupid. Okay I'm going to switch the topic to a new problem that focuses more directly on the problem I'm having. This will help me explain to you guys the trouble I'm having.

Consider this integral:

[​IMG]

Now, if I change sqrt(cos(x)^2) to just cos(x) and continue from there, I end up with 0. But the correct answer is 2. I know it is 2 because Mathematica told me so (heh).

Why does that method fail me? I know it has something to do with the fact that sqrt(x^2)=|x|, but I just can't make the connection. I know I can just change the bounds to 0 to pi/2 and then just multiply the result by 2 but I want to understand why the method I showed does not work. I can't intuitively see why this is giving me a wrong answer. My brain is totally failing me. I keep thinking the squaring of the cosine makes the negative go away but something is obviously happening behind the scenes I am not understanding... :frown:

7. Oct 30, 2005 #6
    because d/dx[x^n] = n*x^(n-1)

so cos[x]^2 = ????

8. Oct 31, 2005 #7
    The derivative of cos2(x) is -2cos(x)sin(x) but I don't see what you're trying to tell me...

But anyway thanks for your help guys. I just now finally succeeded in getting myself to really understand the error and why it is happening. I just sat down for a while and studied the graphs of sqrt(cos2(x)) and cos(x) and wrote my thoughts down on a piece of paper a few times and it finally made sense.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?