Please help me solve this Materials question

• Thread starter Dustybin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Materials
In summary, the problem involves a compound bar consisting of steel and brass bars joined at point C. The forces acting on the bar at points B and D are given as 54 kN and 117 kN respectively. The displacement of point D due to the loading can be determined using the equation PL/AE, where P is the force, L is the length, A is the area, and E is the modulus of elasticity. The answer should be given to 2 decimal places in mm. The student has attempted the problem multiple times but believes their mistake may be in the use of forces on each segment.
Dustybin

Homework Statement

A steel bar and a brass bar, both of 36 mm diameter, are joined at point C to form a compound bar. Neglect the weight of the bars. Determine the displacement (in mm) of point D due to the loading.

The forces are PB=54 kN and PD=117 kN at points B and D respectively.

Give your answer to 2 decimal places in mm.

35m1du1.jpg

Homework Equations

PL/AE

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried for a lot of times. But i think my mistake is on the force use on each segment.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dustybin said:

Homework Statement

A steel bar and a brass bar, both of 36 mm diameter, are joined at point C to form a compound bar. Neglect the weight of the bars. Determine the displacement (in mm) of point D due to the loading.

The forces are PB=54 kN and PD=117 kN at points B and D respectively.

Give your answer to 2 decimal places in mm.

35m1du1.jpg

Homework Equations

PL/AE

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried for a lot of times. But i think my mistake is on the force use on each segment.

Welcome to the PF.

Please show us your work so far. We cannot help you unless we see your work (per the PF Rules link at the top of the page).

1. What is the purpose of this Materials question?

The purpose of this Materials question is to seek assistance with solving a problem related to materials science. It could involve identifying the properties of a certain material, determining the appropriate material to use for a specific application, or understanding the behavior of materials under certain conditions.

2. How do I know if my question is related to materials science?

If your question involves the study of materials and their properties, such as their composition, structure, and behavior, then it is likely related to materials science. This field encompasses various disciplines such as chemistry, physics, and engineering, and is used to develop new materials for different applications.

3. Can you provide a step-by-step guide for solving this Materials question?

Unfortunately, there is no one-size-fits-all approach to solving a Materials question. The best way to approach it would depend on the specific problem and the available resources. However, some general steps that may help include defining the problem, gathering relevant information, using appropriate methods and tools, and analyzing and interpreting the results.

4. What resources can I use to help me solve this Materials question?

Some useful resources for solving Materials questions include textbooks, scientific journals, online databases, and consulting with experts in the field. It is also important to use reliable and up-to-date sources to ensure the accuracy of the information.

5. What should I do if I am still unable to solve this Materials question?

If you are still unable to solve the Materials question after trying different approaches and utilizing available resources, it may be helpful to seek assistance from a knowledgeable colleague or a tutor. It is also important to review the problem and your steps carefully, as sometimes minor mistakes can lead to incorrect solutions.