What is the secret code for Dr. Kai's computer system?

• Thread starter Derivative86
  • Start date
In summary, Dr. Kai protects his computer system with a secret code that requires input of a third number related to the first two. Despite being monitored by Cortex spies, Dr. Kai successfully logs in by using a pattern of multiplying the number of letters in the English version of the first two numbers. The Cortex spy can gain access to Dr. Kai's computer by typing in 54.
Derivative86
Dr. Kai protects his computer system from those pesky Cortex spys by incorporating a secret code that only he knows how to work out. Two numbers appear on his screen, and he can't log in until he types in a third number, related to the first two.

However, certain Cortex spies kept an eye on him as he entered the secret code several times. For instance, when 1 and 2 appeared on the screen, he typed in 9 to log in. When 3 and 4 appeared, he typed in 20. When 5 and 6 appeared, he typed in 12.

Finally, when it was safe to do so, a Cortex spy broke in and started up the computer. The numbers 17 and 12 appeared on the screen.

What number should the Cortex spy type into gain access to Dr. Kai's computer?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I could solve it for you, but instead I'm going to give you a hint.

Write down the numbers in English, then analyze them. (e.g. 3 = three, 4 = four, etc.)

Ok I did i don't see a pattern

One Two Nine
Three Four Twenty
Five Six Twelve
Seventeen Twelve ?

Count the number of letters then think what operation could generate the required answer

Ah I see thanks! So the answer is 9 * 6 = 54

1. What are the most common steps to solving a problem?

The most common steps to solving a problem include: identifying the problem, gathering information, brainstorming solutions, evaluating and choosing the best solution, and implementing the solution.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

To improve your problem-solving skills, you can practice regularly, break down complex problems into smaller parts, collaborate with others, and learn from your mistakes.

3. What are some common obstacles people face when trying to solve a problem?

Some common obstacles people face when trying to solve a problem include lack of information or resources, fear of failure, and cognitive biases or mental blocks.

4. What should I do if I am stuck on a problem and can't find a solution?

If you are stuck on a problem and can't find a solution, take a break and come back to it later with a fresh perspective. You can also ask for help from someone else or try a different problem-solving approach.

5. How can I make sure I am solving the right problem?

To make sure you are solving the right problem, take the time to clearly define and understand the problem before jumping into finding a solution. You can also ask for feedback from others or gather more information to verify the problem.