Please help me solve this simple infinite sum

In summary, the sum of the given series can be written as the difference of two sums: the first sum from 1 to n of 1/(n+4) and the second sum from 1 to n of 1/(n+6). This can be rearranged to simplify the calculations and arrive at the correct answer of 11/30.
skyturnred

Homework Statement

s=[itex]\sum^{k=\infty}_{k=1}[/itex] [itex]\frac{2}{k^{2}+10k+24}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can pull the 2 out. I can set n=[itex]\infty[/itex] and just take the limit as n approaches infinity of the sum from 1 to n.

I use partial fractions to write out:

[itex]\frac{1}{(n+4)(n+6)}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{2n+8}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{1}{2n+12}[/itex]

To see it better, I write out the first few terms manually. I get the following (as n approaches infinity of course):

[itex]\frac{s}{1}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{5}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{1}{7}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{1}{6}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{1}{8}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{1}{7}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{1}{9}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{1}{8}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{1}{10}[/itex]+...+[itex]\frac{2}{2n+8}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{2}{2n+12}[/itex]

But I am very confused. It is similar to a telescoping series.. but I am not used to something like this. Usually the 2nd term cancels out the third, the 4rth with the 5th, and so on and so forth until all you have left is the first and the very last term. But in THIS series, the 2nd cancels our the 5th, the 4th with the 7th, etc. And I can't seem to work out what would remain.. Can someone please help me?

BTW I know the answer to be 11/30, in case that helps at all.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
skyturnred said:
But I am very confused. It is similar to a telescoping series.. but I am not used to something like this. Usually the 2nd term cancels out the third, the 4rth with the 5th, and so on and so forth until all you have left is the first and the very last term. But in THIS series, the 2nd cancels our the 5th, the 4th with the 7th, etc. And I can't seem to work out what would remain.. Can someone please help me?

This line of thinking is the right approach. Why do you care that the terms cancelling out are further apart? You need to be a little careful, but the same ideas apply.

The 2nd cancels the 5th, the 4th cancels the 7th, etc. So what terms do you have left? Clearly you have the 1st and 3rd term (assuming n > 1), but what happens at the end of the sum? What terms are still left? If you cannot figure this out generally right now, just try for n = 2, n =3, n =4, n= 5 and note what terms are not canceled out. You should be able to spot a pattern.

So the first and third terms will cancel out.. but I am confused about what happens as I near the end. Would it be correct to say that the sum is

s=[itex]\frac{1}{5}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{1}{6}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{1}{n+5}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{1}{n+6}[/itex]?

Because if so, I know how to solve it from there.

skyturnred said:

Homework Statement

s=[itex]\sum^{k=\infty}_{k=1}[/itex] [itex]\frac{2}{k^{2}+10k+24}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can pull the 2 out. I can set n=[itex]\infty[/itex] and just take the limit as n approaches infinity of the sum from 1 to n.

I use partial fractions to write out:

[itex]\frac{1}{(n+4)(n+6)}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{2n+8}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{1}{2n+12}[/itex]

To see it better, I write out the first few terms manually. I get the following (as n approaches infinity of course):

[itex]\frac{s}{1}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{5}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{1}{7}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{1}{6}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{1}{8}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{1}{7}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{1}{9}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{1}{8}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{1}{10}[/itex]+...+[itex]\frac{2}{2n+8}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{2}{2n+12}[/itex]

BTW I know the answer to be 11/30, in case that helps at all.

Thanks in advance!

If you set [tex] f(n) = \frac{1}{2n+8}, [/tex]
you have a sum of terms [itex] t(n) = f(n) - f(n+2). [/itex] Write out a few terms to see what happens.

RGV

skyturnred said:
So the first and third terms will cancel out.. but I am confused about what happens as I near the end. Would it be correct to say that the sum is

s=[itex]\frac{1}{5}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{1}{6}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{1}{n+5}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{1}{n+6}[/itex]?

Because if so, I know how to solve it from there.

Try inserting n=1,n=2,n=3 and see if you expression is correct. No need to ask, just try it out.

Anyway maybe an easier way to arrange the sum rather than the intermingled formula you came up with is to first write up the first sum and then minus the second sum:

\begin{align*}
\sum_{k=1}^n \frac{1}{n+4} - \sum_{k=1}^n \frac{1}{n+6} \\
= \frac{1}{5}+\frac{1}{6}&+\frac{1}{7}+\frac{1}{8}+ \cdots + \frac{1}{n+4} \\
&-\frac{1}{7}-\frac{1}{8}-\cdots - \frac{1}{n+4} -\frac{1}{n+5} -\frac{1}{n+6}
\end{align*}

rasmhop said:
Try inserting n=1,n=2,n=3 and see if you expression is correct. No need to ask, just try it out.

Anyway maybe an easier way to arrange the sum rather than the intermingled formula you came up with is to first write up the first sum and then minus the second sum:

\begin{align*}
\sum_{k=1}^n \frac{1}{n+4} - \sum_{k=1}^n \frac{1}{n+6} \\
= \frac{1}{5}+\frac{1}{6}&+\frac{1}{7}+\frac{1}{8}+ \cdots + \frac{1}{n+4} \\
&-\frac{1}{7}-\frac{1}{8}-\cdots - \frac{1}{n+4} -\frac{1}{n+5} -\frac{1}{n+6}
\end{align*}

I ended up getting the right answer, but that method you just showed me in this quote can be really useful to visualizing it in an easier way. Thanks!

1. What is an infinite sum?

An infinite sum is a mathematical concept where the sum of an infinite number of terms is calculated. It is often represented using sigma notation (Σ) and is used to find the total value of a series of numbers.

2. How do I solve an infinite sum?

To solve an infinite sum, you need to find a pattern in the terms and use a mathematical formula to find the sum. This may involve using techniques such as geometric series or telescoping series. Alternatively, you can use a calculator or computer program to calculate the sum.

3. What are some common types of infinite sums?

Some common types of infinite sums include geometric series, harmonic series, and power series. These types of sums have specific formulas and techniques for solving them.

4. Can an infinite sum have a finite value?

Yes, an infinite sum can have a finite value. This occurs when the sum converges, meaning that the terms approach a finite value as the number of terms increases. However, an infinite sum can also diverge, meaning that the terms do not approach a finite value and the sum is infinite.

5. How can I use infinite sums in real-world applications?

Infinite sums have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to model real-world phenomena, such as the acceleration of objects, electrical circuits, and compound interest. Infinite sums are also used in calculus to solve problems involving infinite series.