1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help me. Thank you.

1. Apr 6, 2009 #1
    1) Two points in the xy plane have Cartesian coordinates (1.00, -4.00) m and (-5.00, 5.00) m. Determine their polar coordinates @ (-5.00, 5.00)
    r = ?
    θ = ?

2) A plane flies from base camp to Lake A, 290 km away in the direction 20.0° north of east. After dropping off supplies it flies to Lake B, which is 230 km 30.0° west of north from Lake A. Graphically determine the distance and direction from Lake B to the base camp.
    Distance = ?
    Direction = ?

3) Given the vectors = 5.00 + 8.00 and = 3.00 - 2.00.
    vector D
    r =
    θ =

I have absolutely no clue how to solve these, or where to begin. I don't have my book yet since it has not been delivered, and I don't mean to be a pest, but I really need help. Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2009 #2
    AND ANOTHER ONE, PLEASE.

An air-traffic controller observes two aircraft on his radar screen. The first is at altitude 850 m, horizontal distance 19.8 km, and 25.5° south of west. The second aircraft is at altitude 1000 m, horizontal distance 18.0 km, and 19.0° south of west. What is the distance between the two aircraft? (Place the x axis west, the y axis south, and the z axis vertical.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook