Please help me, this problem is killing me

• Thread starter physics noob
  • Start date
In summary, a 20 g bullet is fired horizontally into a .5 kg wooden block, resting on a horizontal surface. The bullet goes through the block and comes out the other side with a speed of 200m/s. If the block travels 1 m before coming to rest, what was the Vi of the bullet?
physics noob
A 20 g bullet is fired horizontally into a .5 kg wooden block, resting on a horizontal surface ( kinetic friction coefficient is .2), THe bullet goes through the block and comes out the other side with a speed of 200m/s... if the block travels 1 m before coming to rest, what was the Vi of the bullet... (ignore work of gravity on the bullet...ps, this is a momentum problem i think, i just can't get it, i would GREATLY appreciate any help on this... i have the answer but i need to work to get credit... this is what i have so far

i tried using Wnet = change in KE

Fx - .2(.52)(1m)(9.8) = x - 1.02 J but i have no idea what to do next, i think it is a perfectly inelastic collision during the one meter, but than the bullet come out!?! how the heck do you account for that? again any help is appriaciated,,, thanks for y our time

Physics news on Phys.org
i'm not sure about this... (not really sure about wat kinetic coefficient is) but what i tink u can do is since there is kinetic friction .2 .. let's take as if u'r block is movin so use [tex] KE = 1/2 m v^2[/tex] to find u'r 'velocity' of u'r block/.. After doing that, u can use [tex] M(1) U(1) + M(2) U(2) = M(1) V(1) + M(2) V(2) [/tex] to find u'r initial speed.. i hope so.. note: u'r V(2)= 0... oso dunnoe y..

May not be rite.. though APOLOGIES! Juz try it.. hope u get u'r answer :biggrin:

Last edited:
Friction force = coefficient of friction * normal force.
thus friction force is 0.5*9.8*0.2=0.98 N
this acts through 1 m, so the work done by friction is
work done = F*s = 0.98 * 1 = 0.98 J.
this work done by friction is absorbing the kinetic energy of the block initially,
so the initial kinetic energy of the block is 0.98 J
thus 0.98 = 0.5*m*v^2.
so the velocity of the block just after impact is 1.980 m/s.

now, apply momentum equation,
momentum initial = momentum final
= 0.5*1.980 + 0.020 * 200 = 4.99 kg m/s.

initial momentum of the bullet is 4.99 kg m/s also, so
the speed of the bullet is 4.99/0.02 = 249 m/s.

the BIG assumption we adopt here is the external friction is negligible during the interaction process which happens very-very fast, otherwise momentum is not conserved.

maybe that helps.

Sniffer (poor physicist)

thank a bunch, that's exactly the answer that was given, thanks again...

1. Why is this problem "killing" me?

The term "killing" is often used to express the severity and urgency of a problem. It does not necessarily mean that the problem is physically harming you, but rather that it is causing significant stress and difficulty in your life.

2. Can you really help me with this problem?

As a scientist, I am trained to analyze and solve problems. While I cannot guarantee a solution, I will do my best to offer scientific insights and potential solutions to help you overcome your problem.

3. How do I know if this problem is worth seeking help for?

If a problem is causing significant distress, hindering your daily functioning, or impacting your overall well-being, it is worth seeking help for. Seeking help is a brave and proactive step towards finding a resolution.

4. Are there any scientific studies or evidence that can help me with this problem?

There is a wealth of scientific research and evidence that can offer valuable insights and potential solutions for a variety of problems. It is important to consult multiple sources and consider individual differences when applying this information to your specific situation.

5. Can you help me solve this problem quickly?

The time it takes to solve a problem varies greatly depending on its complexity and individual factors. While there is no guarantee for a quick solution, I will do my best to offer efficient and effective assistance in tackling your problem.