1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please Help me to choose a Field

1. Dec 30, 2013 #1
    I'm studying at University of Moratuwa. Now I have to choose a field to major at the university. I'm more interested in the following 2 fields.

1. Mechanical Engineering
    2. Chemical and Process Engineering

Can you guys give your views about these fields. About,

# What areas would it open up for me.
    # What kind of jobs are available and in which countries.
    # Future demand for these fields.
    # Subject modules in each of these fields

p.s. I'm usually good at physics, but I fancy research too.

All Your ideas would be greatfully appreciated.

Cheers!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2013 #2

td21

Gold Member

I would choose ME over ChemE.

4. Dec 31, 2013 #3
    Any form of engineering is likely going to provide more stable employment. The ability to apply cross-disciplinary knowledge to problems makes an engineering career more adaptable than any strict vocation. But you must question if you are selling yourself short?

Do you have talent and skills in an/a specific field of study that make you valuable in the current market?

Some of the smartest persons I've ever known underestimated their value in the basic field of their choice; are you underestimating you're value?

5. Dec 31, 2013 #4
    I'm interested in both these fields.
    Yes, even though I do think I've got a little edge for ME over Chemical, Because I'm interested in mechanical work, I still believe i can hangout with chemical too.

The point is that i don't want to continue my carrier as an engineer. I want to do this for a couple of years to earn some bucks and enter a good university to study physics.

Furthermore i like doing research.

What i want to know is whether, there would be good opportunities for future Chem Engineers?

And in what kind of areas can they work??

6. Dec 31, 2013 #5
    I have a bachelors in ME. I cant really speak for ChemE, but ME's can do hands on stuff like control and instrumentation. I like that. With ChemE, you probably need an expensive lab do to anything. I also like electronics, and ME gives some way to explore that field.

With ME, you will have more options open, and I think that is good advice for you because you are not sure what you want to do.

7. Dec 31, 2013 #6
    EE4life<<<< In what areas can a ME work in the industry?

8. Jan 1, 2014 #7
    So you're basically asking us to do all of your research for you?

9. Jan 1, 2014 #8
    It's not like that. I was just asking for your views as industry people.
    Please don't be so rude.

10. Jan 1, 2014 #9
    Okay, well, I'm mechanical and to answer your questions:

1) Pretty much them all
    2) Every country in the world
    3) Depends on the area, but I can't ever see the worldwide demand for engineers being low, even if the West ends up moving away into a services based economy
    4) Can be found on university websites

Without more specific questions we can't give more specific answers I'm afraid.

11. Jan 1, 2014 #10
    Thank You! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook