How Far Do You Move If You Jump in a Moving Train?

• Thread starter Lani
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Figure
In summary, the conversation is about a person taking a trip on the Shanghai Transrapid Train, which maintains a speed of 430km/h along a straight path. The person jumps straight up at a speed of 2ms-1 while positioned in the center of the carriage. The question is how many horizontal meters the person is displaced along the aisle before landing, with the clarification that displacement towards the front of the train is negative and towards the back of the train is positive. The person also asks if there is any horizontal force acting on them and where they will land if there is no horizontal force.
Lani
I'm taking a trip aboard the Shanghai Transrapid Train. The train maintains its maximum commercial speed of 430km/h along a straight.
I position myself at the centre of my carriage and jump straight up at 2ms-1.

How many horizontal meters am I displaced along the aisle before landing?

Displacement towards the front of the train is negative and towards the back of the train is positive

Physics news on Phys.org
Lani said:
I'm taking a trip aboard the Shanghai Transrapid Train. The train maintains its maximum commercial speed of 430km/h along a straight.

Displacement towards the front of the train is negative and towards the back of the train is positive
You need to fill up the three part template and show your working.
It is mandatory while posting here in the homework help forum.

You too traveling as fast as the train, horizontally.
Is there any force acting on you horizontally?

Hamid438 said:
You too traveling as fast as the train, horizontally.
Is there any force acting on you horizontally?
No , pls can you help me out with this question

Lani said:
No , pls can you help me out with this question

If there is no horizontal force acting on you then where do you land?

Lani said:

Lani, you need to start over and fill out the homework template and show what you have attempted to solve the problem yourself so that we know where you are getting stuck. :smile:

1. What does the question "Please help me to figure this question pls" mean?

The question is asking for assistance in understanding or solving a problem or inquiry.

2. Can you give me more context for the question "Please help me to figure this question pls"?

Without more context, it is difficult to provide a specific answer. However, the question could be related to a specific subject or task that the person is struggling with.

3. How can I approach solving the question "Please help me to figure this question pls"?

It would be helpful to break down the question into smaller parts and analyze each part separately. Additionally, seeking guidance from a teacher or mentor could also be beneficial.

4. What if I am still unable to figure out the question "Please help me to figure this question pls"?

If you have exhausted all possible approaches and still cannot solve the question, it may be helpful to take a break and come back to it with a fresh perspective. You could also try discussing the question with peers or seeking additional resources for assistance.

5. Can you provide examples of similar questions to "Please help me to figure this question pls"?

Similar questions could include "I need help understanding this problem", "Can you assist me in solving this question?", or "I am having trouble figuring out this task, can you guide me?"

Back