1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help me to solve this problem

1. Dec 15, 2008 #1
    There is a 10 points data set:

x: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
    y: 1 8 27 64 125 216 343 512 729 1000

calculate the y-value at x=2.5, 5.7 and 9.75 by using cubic spline interpolation method

(in C language)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Okay, as a start what is the "cubic spline interpolation method"?

For that matter, what is a "cubic spline"?

4. Dec 15, 2008 #3
    Cubic spline interpolation is one of numerical method to find trend of data (like regressive equation). For cubic spline interpolation, I don't know how to solve this problem in c language when we have 10 data points.

5. Dec 15, 2008 #4
    Numerical Analysis by Richard L. Burden and J. Douglas Faires gives a pseudo-code algorithm on how to program such a problem. If you don't know how to do it for 10 data points than you don't know how to do it for any amount of data points. Since you haven't posted an attempted solution I suggest searching the web on what exactly cubic spline interpolation is. Or reading that section of the textbook I suggested in a library or a bookstore.

[Edit] The book edition I have is edition 8.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?