Triangle ABC and Rectangle PQRS: Finding Area and Maximum Value

• Thread starter Angela16
  • Start date
In summary, the figure shows a triangle ABC where AB=AC, BC=18cm and angle A is a right angle. PQRS is a rectangle with PQ=2x and QR= y cm. Find the area of PQRS and show it in terms of x. Hence find the maximum area of the rectangle PQRS.
Angela16
The figure shows a triangle ABC where AB=AC, BC=18cm and angle A is a right angle. PQRS is a rectangle with PQ=2x and QR= y cm. Find the area of PQRS and show it in terms of x.
Hence find the maximum area of the rectangle PQRS.

i tried to solve it by myself but i can't do it. Help me,

thanks a lot ^_^

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you explain the problem a little more. How does the triangle relate to the rectangle?

I'm guessing this is a problem in lagrange multipliers, where we need to maximize A = 2xy, with a certain restraint on the variables that needs to yet describe.

rectangle located inside of the triangle,
PQRS is given by A=18x-2x square
i missed this part sorry ^_^

i hope that it can help for solve it

Firstly note that for any 2x and y, we want the rectangle to have two of it sides running over the base and height of the triangle and one of its corners touching the hypotenuse to maximize the area.

With this observation, we get a relation between 2x and y. (note that I'm putting P over A here):

[tex]y = 9\sqrt{2}-2x[/tex]

Since the area of the rectangle is [tex]A = 2xy = 18\sqrt{2}x-4x^2[/tex], you can use calculus to show that the maximum value of A occurs at [tex]x = \frac{9\sqrt{2}}{4}[/tex] and the value of this maximum area is [tex]A = 40.5 [/tex]

As a side-note, notice how this is half the area of the triangle itself. Perhaps you could've concluded this without using calculus as follows:

Add a similar triangle (but flipped) to make a square. Then you'll easily see how maximum area covered will be half the area of the triangle.

I'm mentioning this because I don't know whether you want a calculus based solution or not.

I hope this helps... :)

thanks a lot, it was great help ^__^

1. How can I solve this problem on my own?

To solve a problem, it is important to first understand the problem thoroughly. Start by breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Then, research and gather information about the problem to identify possible solutions. Finally, experiment with different approaches and evaluate the results until you find an effective solution.

2. What should I do if I can't solve the problem on my own?

If you are struggling to solve a problem on your own, don't be afraid to ask for help. Seek out resources such as books, online tutorials, or consult with a colleague or mentor. Additionally, consider reaching out to experts or professionals in the field for guidance.

3. How do I know if my solution to the problem is correct?

To determine if your solution is correct, it is important to test it thoroughly. This may involve conducting experiments, gathering data, or using mathematical or logical reasoning. It is also helpful to seek feedback from others, as they may offer insights or suggestions that can confirm the validity of your solution.

4. What should I do if my solution doesn't work?

If your solution does not work, don't get discouraged. Instead, try to identify where the problem may be and adjust your approach accordingly. It may also be helpful to go back to the initial problem and reassess your understanding of it. Don't be afraid to try different approaches or seek out additional resources for assistance.

5. How can I prevent similar problems from occurring in the future?

To prevent similar problems from occurring in the future, it is important to reflect on the problem-solving process. Consider what worked well and what didn't, and make note of any lessons learned. It may also be helpful to develop a plan or strategy for approaching similar problems in the future, using the knowledge and experience gained from solving this particular problem.