1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help me to understand "complex number"

1. Apr 4, 2015 #1
    we know Complex number is consists of a real & imaginary number so if a+ib is a complex number which one is real part, imaginary part, real number and imaginary number?????
    I think "a" real and "ib" imaginary part...plzz help me if Iam wrong ...

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2015 #2

Svein

Science Advisor

As long as you have a and b real, a + ib is the standard representation of a complex number (and, of course, i is the imaginary unit with i2 = -1).

4. Apr 4, 2015 #3

jfizzix

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

the real and imaginary parts of a complex number are like [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] components of a vector.

The real part is the number of "ones" you have, and the imaginary part is the number if "i's" you have

Given a complex number [itex]a+bi[/itex]
    [itex]a[/itex]is the real part
    and
    [itex]b[/itex] is the imaginary part

You have amount [itex]a[/itex] of "ones", and amount [itex]b[/itex] of "i's"

5. Apr 4, 2015 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

It's a little confusing at first, but the real part and the so-called imaginary part b, are real numbers.

6. Apr 4, 2015 #5

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just to add that, to be precise, Complex numbers can also be represented in polar form.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook