Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please Help me Translate French Math Terms

  1. Nov 13, 2012 #1


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    Hi, All:

    Sorry if this is off-topic, but I did not know where else to ask. These are geometric/topological

    terms, so I thought it'd make sense to ask here:

    I am reading a math paper in French, and I'm having trouble :

    1)Cellulation de Contact . Cellules. I suspect this has to see with cellular homology , and decomposition into cells

    (as in CW-complexes )

    2) Decoupage, as in:

    ...S est une surface e-convexe, dont le decoupage est fourni par K.

    Thanks. If necessary, I'll delete and post somewhere else.

    EDIT/P.S: For the sake of context, the paper is on Contact Structures and Open Book Decompositions. Sorry, I cannot

    find a link for it online.
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2012 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

    'Cellule' means cell.

    'Cellulation' refers to the process of dividing into cells.

    'Cellulation de Contact' would therefor means 'The dividing into cells coming from "contact"' This is obscure and should have been defined elsewhere I guess.

    '...S est une surface e-convexe, dont le decoupage est fourni par K.' means '...S is an e-convex surface whose cutting is provided by K."

    'Decoupage' means 'cutting'.

    If you have nay more questions, don't hesitate :)
  4. Nov 15, 2012 #3


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    Merci, ami Quasar987 !
  5. Nov 15, 2012 #4


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    Hi again, Quasar987, two more, please:

    How about : l'ame de l'anneau , where the 'a' in ame has a circumflex accent?

    I know ame is sould, and anneau is an annulus, but 'the soul of the annulus' sounds

    just like a cheesy sci-fi movie :).

    How about 'vrillees' (accent on first e ), in reference to a contact structure? I

    imagine it means 'overtwisted' , since I'm pretty sure 'tendue' means tight in this

    context, right?

    P.S: I'll owe you a few beers if you come to NYC--or maybe pastis?
  6. Nov 15, 2012 #5


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

    Haha.. well you're right that 'âme' means 'soul', but 'anneau' can also refer to a 'ring' (the algebraic structure). In any case, I have no idea what 'l'âme de l'anneau' could mean !!

    I do not know how to translate 'vrillé'. It it is an adjectification of the (feminine) noun 'vrille'. When I hear it, I see an helicoid as the best example of something that is vrillé.

    So surely that means 'overtwisted' if it's used next to 'tendu', which clearly means 'tight'.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  7. Nov 16, 2012 #6


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    Have you tried Google translate?

    It might not work for all mathematical or other technical terms, but it might give hints to guessing the meaning.
  8. Nov 16, 2012 #7

    jim mcnamara

    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    'l'âme de l'anneau' == kernel of a ring (I believe. )

    Unless there is a mathematician around here who was educated in France ( I do not know )--
    You best bet is mathoverflow.net: Denis Serre and several other French mathematicians frequent the site.
  9. Dec 23, 2012 #8


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    Thanks all:

    My best understanding so far, after asking a French math prof. is that ame,
    actually translates to "soul of a manifold" ; weird, but there is actually such thing.

    Jim: I did not give enough context, but anneau here refers to annulus, and
    there is no algebraic structure, so I think "soul of a manifold":

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook