Please help me understand this HO energy in He4 gas

In summary, the author of the conversation discusses the use of the relation ##\omega^2 = \frac k m## for the frequency of a harmonic oscillator. They mention that in this specific case, ##k = \phi_p## and ##m = \frac 1 {\rho p^2}##. However, there is some confusion about the author's notation, as they forgot the division symbol in their equation. In the end, they come to the agreement that the author's solution is an elegant one.
claymine
TL;DR Summary
The result of angular frequency deduced from Eq 1.8 is quite confusing to me. Can some one walk me through it please?

Thank you
0C815455-2F07-4141-BFED-574E862BC6E3.jpeg

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems to me the author used the relation ##\omega^2 = \frac k m## for the frequency of an harmonic oscillator, where -in this case- ##k = \phi_p## and ##m = \frac 1 {\rho p^2}##.

dRic2 said:
It seems to me the author used the relation ##\omega^2 = \frac k m## for the frequency of an harmonic oscillator, where -in this case- ##k = \phi_p## and ##m = \frac 1 {\rho p^2}##.
No, I don’t think so

Why not ? It looks like the total energy of an HO... BTW I'm sorry but that's the only thing I could think of

dRic2 said:
Why not ? It looks like the total energy of an HO... BTW I'm sorry but that's the only thing I could think of
cuz in his notation (eq1.8) he has rho bar he forgot the divsion symbol. this is a book called qft in stat phys by A. Abrikosov btw. previously he mentioned in low temp He4 energy is proportional to momentum

Sorry, I'm not following. If you compare that equation with ##\frac 1 2 m \dot x ^2 + \frac 1 2 k x^2## it is straightforward to obtain ##\omega ^2 = \frac k m##

ah you are right my apologies for being pretentious, your way is a pretty elegant solution

dRic2 said:
Sorry, I'm not following. If you compare that equation with ##\frac 1 2 m \dot x ^2 + \frac 1 2 k x^2## it is straightforward to obtain ##\omega ^2 = \frac k m##
thank you

Likes dRic2

1. What is HO energy in He4 gas?

The HO energy in He4 gas refers to the energy associated with the harmonic oscillator (HO) potential in a gas made up of helium-4 atoms. This energy is a result of the atoms' motion and interactions with each other.

2. How is HO energy related to the behavior of He4 gas?

The HO energy is directly related to the behavior of He4 gas. It determines the average energy of the atoms and affects their overall motion and interactions, which ultimately determine the properties of the gas, such as pressure and temperature.

3. Why is understanding HO energy important in studying He4 gas?

Understanding HO energy is crucial in studying He4 gas because it allows us to accurately predict and explain the behavior of the gas under different conditions. It also helps us to develop more efficient models and simulations of the gas, which can be applied in various industries and fields of research.

4. How is HO energy calculated in He4 gas?

HO energy in He4 gas can be calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which takes into account the potential energy of the HO and the quantum mechanical properties of the atoms. This calculation can be complex and often requires advanced mathematical techniques.

5. Can HO energy be changed in He4 gas?

Yes, HO energy in He4 gas can be changed by altering the conditions of the gas, such as temperature and pressure. It can also be affected by the presence of impurities or other particles in the gas. However, the change in HO energy is limited by the laws of quantum mechanics and the properties of the atoms in the gas.