How Do I Tackle Basic Integration in Economics After a Long Break?

In summary, The conversation is about a person struggling with calculus and asking for help understanding the symbols and steps involved. They mention being able to guess through basic integrals, but are unsure about the meaning of "dx". They are referred to a Wikipedia page and the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus for help. The conversation ends with a hint to simplify the solution using inverse functions.
vaxop
I have no idea what this means...
Im taking a economics class and its been 4 years since I did any calculus work, and I am completely in awe at what I am looking at here

What do the symbols mean? How do you go from step 1 to step 2 to step 3?

This is one tiny tiny bit of my course but I've been spending hours on it.. any help would be greatly appreciated :)
:tongue:

Attachments

• help.GIF
    help.GIF
    879 bytes · Views: 484
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, how much do you understand? Do you know elementary integrals, and are you familiar with the exponential and logarithmic functions?

i can guess my way through basic elementary integrals

Last edited:
what does "dx" mean?

the change in x

thanks all its making a lot more sense
after you have integrated an integral, what do you do with it to 'solve' it using the upper and lower limits?
for example, in the example the answer is e^ln(1+t) from 0 to n..
how can i solve this now?

See: Fundamental theorem of calculus (Scroll down to Formal Statements)

Basically you evaluate your answer at n and from that subtract the answer evaluated at 0 if your limits happen to be 0 and n.

Also, do you see any way to simplify e^ln(1+t)? Hint: they're inverse functions.

1. What is integration in science?

Integration in science is the process of combining different aspects or elements of a subject in order to create a more complete understanding of it. In mathematics, integration involves finding the area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity over a given interval.

2. Why is integration important in science?

Integration is important in science because it allows us to connect different pieces of information and make sense of the world around us. It helps us understand complex systems and relationships between variables, and can provide important insights and predictions.

3. What are the steps for solving a basic integration problem?

The steps for solving a basic integration problem include identifying the function, finding the antiderivative, applying the limits or boundaries of the problem, and solving for the final result.

4. What are some common integration techniques?

Some common integration techniques include substitution, integration by parts, trigonometric substitution, and partial fractions. These techniques involve manipulating the original function in order to simplify the integration process.

5. How can I practice and improve my integration skills?

The best way to practice and improve your integration skills is by solving a variety of integration problems, both in a textbook and in real-world applications. Additionally, seeking out resources such as tutorials, online practice problems, and working with a tutor can also help improve your integration abilities.