Me With An Electrochemical Cell and Equivalence.

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems related to electrochemical cells and the calculation of voltage and moles of substances involved. The first problem involves a reaction that decreases the concentration of Cu ions in a cell by adding an ammonia solution. The second problem involves calculating the number of moles of H2O2 produced from a reaction with a given amount of thiosulfate. The conversation also mentions the Nernst equation and the importance of posting separate threads and showing efforts.
kokoman
Hi,

Please don't be spooked by the long post, it's just that it contains two problems (I beg your pardon if I shouldn't have put both in one post, I just figured it'll be better than creating two posts...).

I can't figure how to solve these, so if you please could please help me with either one or both... I greatly appreciate any help and will learn from any extent of assistance.

Homework Statement

Problem 1:

An electrochemical cell is given, one containing an 0.1M CuSO4 solution and the other one containing an 0.1M ZnSO4 solution.

Then, the Cu ion concentration is decreased by adding an Ammonia solution NH4OH into the CuSO4 cell, this triggers the following reaction:

Cu{2+} (aq) + 4NH4OH <---> Cu(NH3)4{2+} + 4H2O

{+} denotes charge.

The reaction above decreases the Cu concentration since the complex ion Cu(NH3)4{2+} does not participate in the overall redox reaction of the cell.

Question:

If the volume of each of the solutions (CuSO4, ZnSO4) is 100 cubic centimeters, calculate the Voltage of the cell after 5 ml of 5M NH4OH are added to the CuSO4 cell..?

Problem 2:

The equivalent of Sulfur Tri-oxide S2O3{2-} equals 1 mole of the same.

Given the two reactions:

2H{+} (aq) + 2I{-} (aq) + H2O2 ---> I2 (s) + 2H2O

I2 + 2S2O3{2-} ---> 2I{-} + S4O6{2-}

{-/+} denotes charge.

Question:

Calculate how many moles of H2O2 will be produced from/react with 1 ml 0.1N S2O3{2-} ?

N as in Normality, not M, Molarity.
The reason it says “produced from/react with”, is because the question is translated, and does not explain this exactly in the original form... Please see if you can do anything with that, it will definitely help me learn if I see any progress with this...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Stuck at beginning - not sure how to start, so please help me if you can, or at least kindly point me at the right direction.

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the Nernst equation?

The equivalent of Sulfur Tri-oxide S2O3{2-} equals 1 mole of the same.

Thiosulfate, not sulfur trioxide.

If equivalent equals mole, N=M.

And yes, you should post two separate threads. Plus, you should show your efforts.

What is an electrochemical cell?

An electrochemical cell is a device that converts chemical energy into electrical energy through redox reactions. It consists of two electrodes (anode and cathode) and an electrolyte solution.

How does an electrochemical cell work?

An electrochemical cell works by converting the chemical energy of the reactants into electrical energy. This is achieved through a series of oxidation and reduction reactions at the electrodes, which creates a flow of electrons from the anode to the cathode through an external circuit.

What is equivalence in an electrochemical cell?

Equivalence in an electrochemical cell refers to the balanced transfer of electrons between the anode and cathode. This is achieved when the amount of charge passed through the external circuit is equal to the amount of charge produced by the redox reactions at the electrodes.

What factors can affect the performance of an electrochemical cell?

The performance of an electrochemical cell can be affected by factors such as the type of electrodes and electrolyte used, the concentration of the electrolyte, temperature, and the surface area of the electrodes.

What are some practical applications of electrochemical cells?

Electrochemical cells have various practical applications, including batteries for portable electronic devices, fuel cells for powering vehicles, and corrosion protection for metal structures. They are also used in chemical sensors, electroplating, and in the production of certain chemicals.