1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help me with my homework

1. Sep 15, 2003 #1
    A car starts from rest and accelerates uniformly at 3m/s2. A second car starts from rest 6 s later and accelerates uniformly at 5 m/s2/ How long does it take the second car to overtake the first car?

I feel like I know how I am supposed to do this but I just need some clarity on what formula I need to use and what all my variables are. I have been physiced out so I just need a lil help here!!!!! Thanks so much to any and all who wanna contribute!!!!!!!
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2003 #2

Use s = ut + 1/2 *at^2, remembering to account for the "lead" the first car has acheived.

Hmm... there does seem to be a lot of uniform acceleration questions around recently...
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2003
  4. Sep 15, 2003 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Slight typo: it should be s= (1/2)at2+ ut (u is the initial speed) instead of "2at2" (i.e. 1/2 instead of 2)

Taking the time the first car starts as t= 0, the distance the first car has gone is s1= (3/2)t2 (a= 3 and u=0 {"starts from rest"})

Car 2 also starts from rest but has a= 5 and starts 6 seconds later (so it's "time" is t- 6 rather than t).
    s2= (5/2)(t- 6)2.

The second car will "overtake" the first car when they have both gone the same distance: solve (3/2)t2= (5/2)(t- 6)2.
  5. Sep 15, 2003 #4
    but wait, I still am a lil confused. I guess a lot confused. that is the formula I guessed but where do I plug everything in?
  6. Sep 15, 2003 #5
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?