Calculating Overtaking Time for Two Cars Accelerating Uniformly

• Thread starter LadyLexa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
Then, we set these distances equal to each other to find the time when they have traveled the same distance. This will give us the time it takes for the second car to overtake the first car.
LadyLexa
A car starts from rest and accelerates uniformly at 3m/s2. A second car starts from rest 6 s later and accelerates uniformly at 5 m/s2/ How long does it take the second car to overtake the first car?

I feel like I know how I am supposed to do this but I just need some clarity on what formula I need to use and what all my variables are. I have been physiced out so I just need a lil help here! Thanks so much to any and all who want to contribute!

Physics news on Phys.org
Use s = ut + 1/2 *at^2, remembering to account for the "lead" the first car has acheived.

Hmm... there does seem to be a lot of uniform acceleration questions around recently...

Last edited:
Slight typo: it should be s= (1/2)at2+ ut (u is the initial speed) instead of "2at2" (i.e. 1/2 instead of 2)

Taking the time the first car starts as t= 0, the distance the first car has gone is s1= (3/2)t2 (a= 3 and u=0 {"starts from rest"})

Car 2 also starts from rest but has a= 5 and starts 6 seconds later (so it's "time" is t- 6 rather than t).
s2= (5/2)(t- 6)2.

The second car will "overtake" the first car when they have both gone the same distance: solve (3/2)t2= (5/2)(t- 6)2.

but wait, I still am a lil confused. I guess a lot confused. that is the formula I guessed but where do I plug everything in?

okie

1. How do you calculate overtaking time for two cars accelerating uniformly?

To calculate overtaking time for two cars accelerating uniformly, you need to know the initial velocities of both cars, their acceleration rates, and the distance between them. Then, you can use the formula: t = (d - (v1 + v2)t) / (v1 - v2), where t is the overtaking time, d is the distance between the cars, v1 is the initial velocity of the overtaking car, and v2 is the initial velocity of the car being overtaken.

2. What is the difference between overtaking time and reaction time?

Overtaking time is the time it takes for a car to pass another car that is traveling at a slower speed. Reaction time, on the other hand, is the time it takes for a driver to react to a situation, such as applying the brakes or changing lanes. Overtaking time is a measure of distance and speed, while reaction time is a measure of a driver's reflexes.

3. How does the acceleration rate affect overtaking time?

The acceleration rate of a car can greatly affect the overtaking time. The higher the acceleration rate, the faster the car can reach a higher speed and overtake the other car. However, a higher acceleration rate also means the car will cover a shorter distance during the overtaking process, so the overtaking time may be shorter. On the other hand, a lower acceleration rate may result in a longer overtaking time as the car takes longer to reach a higher speed.

4. Is overtaking time affected by the weight of the cars?

Yes, the weight of the cars can affect the overtaking time. A heavier car may have a slower acceleration rate and take longer to reach a higher speed, resulting in a longer overtaking time. Additionally, a heavier car may require more distance to safely overtake another car, which can also affect the overtaking time.

5. Can overtaking time be calculated for non-uniform acceleration?

Yes, overtaking time can also be calculated for non-uniform acceleration. In this case, the formula used may be more complex and require knowledge of the velocity and acceleration at different points in time. It is also important to note that in real-world scenarios, cars rarely accelerate uniformly, so calculating overtaking time for non-uniform acceleration may provide a more accurate estimation of the actual overtaking time.