Please help me with this analysis homework prob

In summary: I got the point. In summary, the conversation discusses finding an example of a function, interval, and partition where a left-handed sum using the partition is closer to the actual value of the Riemann Integral than a left-handed sum using a refinement of the partition. The conversation includes examples of functions such as f(x) = 2x and f(x) = -2x and discusses the importance of finding a function with both increasing and decreasing parts. Ultimately, they are able to find a suitable example using f(x) = x-x^3 and partitions P = {-1,0,1} and Q = {-1,0,1/2,1}.
sandra1

Homework Statement

Give an example of a function, interval, and partition P for which a left-handed sum using P is closer to the actual value of the Riemann Integral than the left-handed sum using partition Q which is a refinement of P

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

f(x) = 2x, x is in [0,1]
partition P = {0,1/3,2/3,1}
partition Q = {0,1/3,2/3,3/4,1}

since f(x) is increasing on [0,1] we have f(x_k) is max value for f and f(x_k-1) is min value for f on each subinterval [x_k-1, x_k]

so L(P,f) = 0.0 + (1/3)(2/3) + (2/3)(4/3) = 10/9
and L(Q,f) = 0.0 + (1/3)(2/3) + (2/3)(4/3) + (3/4)(6/4) = 161/72

actual Riemann Integral Value = 1

so |L(P,f) - 1| = (10/9) - 1 = 1/9 *
|L(Q,f) - 1| = (161/72) - 1 = 89/72 **
* < ** --> left-handed sum using P is closer to the actual value of the Riemann Integral than the left-handed sum using partition Q.

I am not sure if this is right. So any comment would be much appreciated. Thanks all.

Physics news on Phys.org
You aren't doing the Riemann sum right. The left handed Riemann sum is the sum of (interval width)*(value at left hand endpoint) isn't it? Your (interval widths) aren't right. You aren't going to have much luck finding an example with a strictly increasing function.

you're right. i was wrong. so it must be that

L(P,f) = 2/3 and,
L(Q,f) = 17/24

so now L(Q,f) is closer so an increasing function wouldn't work.

So a decreasing function must work right? so how about f(x) = -2x using the same two partitions P,Q

then L(P,f) = 0 + (1/3)(-2/3) + (1/3)(-4/3) = -6/9 = -2/3
and L(Q,f) = 0 + (1/3)(-2/3) + (1/12)(-4/3) + (1/4)(-6/4) = -17/24

so |L(P,f) - 1| = |(-2/3) - 1| = 5/3 *
|L(Q,f) - 1| = |(-17/24) - 1| = 41/24 **

* < ** --> left-handed sum using P is closer to the actual value of the Riemann Integral than the left-handed sum using partition Q.

is it ok now? *.*

note the value of the Riemann integral is now -1...

i think the mian point was strictly increasing... how about considering a periodic function and relate the period to the refined set?

I think you need a function that has both increasing and decreasing parts. Here's a hint. Look at x-x^3. It's zero at x=1 and x=(-1). What's the integral between those two points?

Dick said:
I think you need a function that has both increasing and decreasing parts. Here's a hint. Look at x-x^3. It's zero at x=1 and x=(-1). What's the integral between those two points?

thanks very much both of you for the hint. you're right i need a function with both increasing and decreasing parts. So ok from your hint f(x) = x-x^3. x is in [-1,1]
So the real value of riemann integral is 0.

pick P = {-1,0,1}
Q = {-1,0,1/2,1}

left-handed sum using P = 1.(-1-(-1)^3) + 1.0 = 0
left-handed sum using Q = 1.(-1-(-1)^3) + (1/2).0 + (1/2)((1/2)-(1/2)^3)
= 0 + 0 + 3/16 = 3/16
0< 3/16 --> done.

Is it what you meant?

sandra1 said:
thanks very much both of you for the hint. you're right i need a function with both increasing and decreasing parts. So ok from your hint f(x) = x-x^3. x is in [-1,1]
So the real value of riemann integral is 0.

pick P = {-1,0,1}
Q = {-1,0,1/2,1}

left-handed sum using P = 1.(-1-(-1)^3) + 1.0 = 0
left-handed sum using Q = 1.(-1-(-1)^3) + (1/2).0 + (1/2)((1/2)-(1/2)^3)
= 0 + 0 + 3/16 = 3/16
0< 3/16 --> done.

Is it what you meant?

Yep, that's pretty much what I meant. Finding a case where the integral equals a Riemann sum makes it pretty easy to find another partition that approximates less well.

Dick said:
Yep, that's pretty much what I meant. Finding a case where the integral equals a Riemann sum makes it pretty easy to find another partition that approximates less well.
thanks very much for your help.

1. What is the purpose of analyzing data in science?

Analyzing data is a critical step in the scientific process because it allows researchers to identify patterns, trends, and relationships in their data. This helps them draw conclusions and make informed decisions based on evidence.

2. How do I approach analyzing my data for this homework problem?

The first step is to carefully review the data and make sure it is organized and complete. Then, identify the variables you want to analyze and choose appropriate statistical methods to analyze them. Finally, interpret the results and draw conclusions based on the data.

3. What are some common challenges in data analysis?

Some common challenges in data analysis include dealing with missing or incomplete data, choosing the right statistical methods, and interpreting the results accurately. It is also important to consider potential biases and limitations in the data.

4. Can you provide some tips for effectively presenting data analysis?

When presenting data analysis, it is important to clearly communicate the purpose, methods, and results of the analysis. Use visual aids such as charts or graphs to help illustrate key findings and make sure to explain the significance of the results in relation to the research question.

5. How can I improve my data analysis skills?

Practicing with different types of data and using a variety of statistical methods can help improve data analysis skills. It is also important to regularly review and interpret data from different sources to gain a better understanding of how data can be analyzed and used in different contexts.