1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help me with this doubt from electrostatics

1. Jan 11, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Please see this illustration

http://www.physicsgalaxy.com/lectures/1/57/1006/Solved-Example-1#6 (see question only)

2. Relevant equations
    potential due to a hollow sphere at it's centre = kq/r

3. The attempt at a solution
    here won't there be an induced positive charge on the outer surface of inner shell and an induced negative charge on the inner surface of outer shell also to maintain the electrical neutrality of spherical shell?

Why isn't it shown here? And the net potential is also affected by the positive positive charge on the outer surface of inner shell and an induced negative charge on the inner surface of outer shell so won't the answer be different

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello. Welcome to PF.

I believe there is only one shell, not two.

R1 is the radius of the inner surface of the shell and R2 is the radius of the outer surface of the shell.

4. Jan 11, 2016 #3

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The question in the link is:
    ... there's also a video.
    The video problem has a thick conducting shell (inner and outer radii labelled on the diagram) with a small charged placed off-center inside it.

The thing to remember about a conductor is that charges in them can move around. They always move so as to cancel out any electric field that may otherwise have been inside. Thus the solid interior of the conductor must have zero static electric field.

The space between the inner and outer surfaces has no charges - all charges have moved to the surfaces. Negative charges have moved to the inner surface, attracted by the positive charge. The positive charges left behind all repel each other so they go to the outer surface.

5. Jan 12, 2016 #4
    iam extremely sorry sir,for not reading the question properly.my sincere apologies.

6. Jan 12, 2016 #5
    thank you very much for replying sir.
    iam extremely sorry sir,for not reading the question properly.my sincere apologies.

7. Jan 12, 2016 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's nothing to worry about. We all do that from time to time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted