Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help me with this limit.

1. Mar 12, 2005 #1
    Please show that:

limit when n goes to infinity of the sum from i=1 to n of 1/n * sqrt(1-i^2/n^2) equals to zero.

Sorry, i havent learned yet to use that Tex thing.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2005 #2
    Not sure of the formal way, but here is what I get.

The inside of the sqrt goes to zero because n^2 goes to infinity, making the interior go to zero. 0/n as n -> infinity is still 0.

4. Mar 12, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes,but it's an infinite sume of "zero-s"...Are us sure you're referring to

[tex] \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\left( \frac{1}{n}\cdot\sum_{i=1}^{n}\sqrt{1-\frac{i^{2}}{n^{2}}}\right) [/tex]

My maple says it's [tex] \frac{\pi}{4} [/tex]...

Daniel.

5. Mar 12, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is.I'm a genius.That limit (together with the sum) can be put in connection to the Riemann sum of the integral (it actually is)

[tex] I=:\int_{0}^{1}\sqrt{1-x^{2}} \ dx =\frac{\pi}{4} [/tex]...

You must be talking about something else...

Daniel.

6. Mar 13, 2005 #5
    I think the 1/n is inside the summation, but I am not totally sure. Can we get clarity from the thread starter.

7. Mar 13, 2005 #6
    You can take the [tex]\frac{1}{n}[/tex] out of the summation because it doesn't depend on [tex]i[/tex]. As stated above by Daniel,

[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \left(\sum_{i=1}^n \left[\frac{1}{n} \sqrt{1 - \frac{i^2}{n^2}}\right]\right) = \int_0^1 \sqrt{1-x^2} \ dx = \frac{\pi}{4}[/tex]

Here [tex]\frac{1}{n}[/tex] is the width [tex]\Delta x[/tex] of the intervals in the Riemann sum, and [tex]\frac{i}{n}[/tex] is the [tex]x_i^*[/tex] (and you will note that it is indeed always in the appropriate interval).

Last edited: Mar 13, 2005
  8. Mar 13, 2005 #7
    Ah, my bad.

I don't really deal with limits like that, so I was basing what I said on what I know.

I was wrong though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?