Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help me with this little survey.

1. Jul 10, 2009 #1
    1. what kind of computer needs did you have? (by "needs", I mean ANYTHING that is computer related)
    2. who did you call for help with those computer needs and why did you call him/her?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

a fish needs a mouse like a woman needs a … ?

hi david90! :smile:

i needed a computer that works underwater, but i had to make do with a computer next to my bowl, and i call upon my mouse, whisskerstein, to operate the computer :approve:

do you want his number? o:)

4. Jul 10, 2009 #3
    Could you be more specific? What kind of "needs" are we talking about here, hardware or software?

5. Jul 10, 2009 #4
    Nobody here needed computer help before?

6. Jul 10, 2009 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe you should read the technology forum threads. Those people all asked the folks at PF to help with their computer problems.

7. Jul 10, 2009 #6
    I think most of the members here probably know enough about computers to figure out most problems on their own and if they do not they probably know someone either in real life or online who could help. There is also google. I usually use google to find answer to pesky little issues. Besides that I have a couple of computer geek friends that are more than willing to help out.

I've not actually had any major problems since the last time I was running Windows 98.

8. Jul 10, 2009 #7

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you asking about home or work/school computer needs?

9. Jul 10, 2009 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The question just seems very overly broad and poorly defined to expect much of an answer. "Computer needs" could be anything from needing to buy new software or a new computer, to troubleshooting a problem.

10. Jul 10, 2009 #9
    I can't find the 'any' key: fail.

11. Jul 10, 2009 #10
  12. Jul 11, 2009 #11
    Yes that's what I mean by computer needs. I want to know about any problems that people had.

I guess from the lack of responses, can I concluded that most people here never had computer problems? I started my own computer services business and I'm trying to see if there is a market for it. sort of.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  13. Jul 11, 2009 #12
    1. Software issues, some minor hardware issues.
    2. Turned to myself and the internet for solutions since I'm Indian and we somehow have tech support infused into us as fetuses.

Usually problematic things that I can never figure out myself are when things like viruses and weird sounding .exe programs are running and I have to turn to the internet for solutions on either removal (which I can usually fix myself with a handful of tools), or for whether said .exe program is legit.

I am currently experiencing a problem with my laptop where it seems to not be starting properly and when it does the screen seems to be artifacted. My current feelings are:

1. It could be a driver issue
    2. It could be some patch/update issue
    3. Resolve above by going into safe mode and checking out current drivers and updates.
    4. If nothing, it's a mobo breakdown and needs replacement.

14. Jul 11, 2009 #13

turbo

Gold Member

You started a computer service company before you evaluated the market for your services?

15. Jul 11, 2009 #14
    I typed google into google and now my internet is broken.

Yes, I tried turning it off and on again. Yes, it's plugged in. Why do people keep asking me that?

16. Jul 11, 2009 #15

turbo

Gold Member

Have you checked the brakes? Of course it could be the wheelbase...

17. Jul 11, 2009 #16
    Actually I knew that there's a market for it. Computer support is a proven business model (geeksquad). I just need to know the specifics like the kinds of problem that people have, who they call and how they choose tech support companies.

18. Jul 11, 2009 #17
    A friend of mine started his own computer support and consultation company. He primarily targeted his services for persons working out of their home and small businesses. I think most of his customers were lawyers and accountants. A major issue with these sorts of customers though is getting paid. You'll get a fairly high rate of persons blowing you off when the bill arrives.
    My friend did fairly well though. He even got a couple contracts to help new companies outfit their offices with brand new computers and set up thier networks. He would then get alot of repeat business when they had tech support issues. Getting to this point took him a while though.

19. Jul 11, 2009 #18

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are different places you can go for information and help on market research. It depends where you are of course but in the UK businesslink or your local chamber of commerce would be good points to start. Also reference sections of libraries have a wide range of information not available on the internet.

20. Jul 11, 2009 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Like I said, it's too vague of a question. Who is going to sit here and list all their computer needs? Especially when the answer is that most people can fix them themselves. If you can identify your need, you can usually fix it yourself. It's when you don't know what's wrong that you have to start asking for help.

The only people I know who hire someone to fix their computers are my parents, and that's because they're idiots when it comes to computers. I couldn't even help them over the phone when they first got a computer a few years ago, because I couldn't get them to understand the differences between single click, double click, right or left click, etc. If you have the patience and personality to deal with people like that, more power to you. But, I'm not sure it's a career that can be sustained very long, since their generation is dying off.

The only computer needs I need help with are those that are out of my hands...getting granted server access at work, for example, or being given a log-in for the classroom computers.

21. Jul 11, 2009 #20
    I apologize for going off-topic, but I've had this happen to me before....dark screen with fans running/ artifacts on screen.
    Basically, in my case, the GPU on the motherboard was getting so hot it was not making contact with the motherboard. You can either try and reflow it, get a new motherboard, or try and lower the heat being emitted.

1. I've had blue screen of death problems (Windows XP), failed GPUs on laptops (HP dv9000 series) and overheating issues, among other things.

2. I've mainly turned to Google for help. If it is something that the manufacturer did wrong (i.e. HP with dv9000 recall), I'll call them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook