Solving cos(θ)^x+sin(θ)^x=1 for x: How many real solutions exist?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that 2 is the only possible solution for the equation cos(θ)^x + sin(θ)^x = 1 for all values of θ. It is suggested to choose a particular value of θ, such as one where cosθ = sinθ, and prove that 2 is the only solution. This would prove the equation for all values of θ. The conversation ends with the speaker expressing their gratitude and stating that they will try to complete the proof on their own.
vijayramakrishnan

Homework Statement

cos(θ)^x+sin(θ)^x=1
find the number of real values of x satisfying this equation

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

the answer given is 1 which is 2.which is obvious but i don't know how to prove that it is the only solution available

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
vijayramakrishnan said:
but i don't know how to prove that it is the only solution available
You want to prove there is no x, other than 2, which gives equality for all values of θ.

Choose any particular θ and show that the only x-value for that particular θ which gives equality is x=2 (that would prove it, right?)

What particular value of θ might it be easy to show this for?

Nathanael said:
You want to prove there is no x, other than 2, which gives equality for all values of θ.

Choose any particular θ and show that the only x-value for that particular θ which gives equality is x=2 (that would prove it, right?)

What particular value of θ might it be easy to show this for?
thank you for replying sir,i want to prove that 2 is the only solution possible.

vijayramakrishnan said:
thank you for replying sir,i want to prove that 2 is the only solution possible.
When you say "the only solution possible," what you really mean is, "the only solution possible for all values of θ" right?

If you were to choose a particular value of θ and prove that 2 is the only solution for that θ, then that would prove what you want, because if x is not 2 then x does not solve it for that particular θ you chose.
This means you only have to prove it for any single value of θ. Do you agree?

I didn't want to hint at it too much, but if you choose the θ such that cosθ=sinθ then you can factor together the exponent x and complete the proof.

Nathanael said:
When you say "the only solution possible," what you really mean is, "the only solution possible for all values of θ" right?

If you were to choose a particular value of θ and prove that 2 is the only solution for that θ, then that would prove what you want, because if x is not 2 then x does not solve it for that particular θ you chose.
This means you only have to prove it for any single value of θ. Do you agree?

I didn't want to hint at it too much, but if you choose the θ such that cosθ=sinθ then you can factor together the exponent x and complete the proof.

thank you sir, from there i will try on my own

1. What type of problem do you need help with?

As a scientist, I am trained to solve a wide variety of problems, including those related to biology, chemistry, physics, and environmental science. Please provide specific details about the problem you are facing so I can offer the most accurate assistance.

2. Can you walk me through the steps to solve this problem?

Of course! As a scientist, I follow a systematic approach to problem-solving known as the scientific method. This involves identifying the problem, researching and gathering information, forming a hypothesis, conducting experiments and observations, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions. I will guide you through each step to help you better understand and solve the problem.

3. How long will it take to solve this problem?

The time it takes to solve a problem varies depending on its complexity and the available resources. As a scientist, I am dedicated to finding the most efficient and accurate solution, but it is important to allow enough time for thorough research and experimentation. It is also important to keep in mind that some problems may require ongoing monitoring and adjustments to find a complete solution.

4. Can you recommend any resources or references to help me with this problem?

Absolutely! As a scientist, I am constantly researching and staying up-to-date on the latest findings and advancements in my field. I can provide you with relevant resources such as scientific articles, textbooks, or reputable websites that can help you better understand and solve the problem.

5. Is this problem common, and has it been solved before?

As a scientist, I am always looking for patterns and similarities in problems to help me find a solution. If this problem has been encountered before, I can use previous research and findings to guide my approach. If it is a unique problem, I will use my scientific knowledge and critical thinking skills to develop a new solution. Either way, I am committed to finding the best possible answer to your problem.