1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help me with this proof!

1. Feb 10, 2008 #1
    Prove that:

d) there do not exsist integers m abd n such that 12m+15n=1

f) if there exist integers m and n such that 12m+15n=1, then m and n are both positive.

so far for d i have

d) since 12m is always a multiple of 3
    and since 15n is always a multiple of 3, then
    adding or subtracting two multiples of 3 always yields another multiple of 3, and so
    12m + 15n can never equal 1 (it can only equal multiples of 3.)

but I have no idea how to do f. In the back of the book it has a hint that says, "See the statement of part (d). Can you prove that m and n are both negative whenever the antecedent is true?" I don't understand it. Can you please help me?

Thanks for the help!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2008 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

d) for any integers x and y, there exists integer m and n such that xm + yn =1 if and only if gcd(x,y) = 1. Does gcd(12,15)=1?

4. Feb 10, 2008 #3
    no the gcd(12, 15)=3.

5. Feb 10, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't see what the question is getting at either. If you write it as P->Q, then you've shown there are no integers m and n that satisfy the antecedent. So formally the implication is true, but you could equally well claim if m and n satisfy 12m+15n=1 then m and n are bananas.

6. Feb 10, 2008 #5
    I really don't understand it either and it is killing me. -.- I have a headache because I'm trying to figure it out and I can't. haha Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to go about this proof?

7. Feb 10, 2008 #6
    That's all the question is trying to get at... in a statement P->Q, if the P part is false, the entire statement is true by default. This is chapter 1, don't over think it too much. Just like Dick said "If there exist integers m and n such that 12m+15n=1, then m and n are bananas" is also a very true statement. The author is just trying to get a very simple concept across, in a fairly convoluted way.

8. Feb 10, 2008 #7
    But how would you prove that that m and n are both negative whenever the antecedent is true?

9. Feb 10, 2008 #8
    The thing is... the antecedent isn't true. So if you were asked to prove that "If there exists integers m and n such that 12m+15n=1 then m and n are negative" all you'd do is prove that the antecedent is false and say "by default this statement is true."....

10. Feb 10, 2008 #9
    Ok. Thanks for all of your help! :0)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?