1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help me with this question!

1. Nov 21, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An electron is in a 1 dimensional potential well. If the energy of the electron is < V0, show that the probability density P(x) for the electron falls exponentially:

P(x) = Aexp(-x/L)

I honestly have no clue, I've been trying all day to do this!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2007 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You need to show us what you have been doing "all day", so that we can help to guide you in the right direction. What is the basic equation that you should be using to approach this problem? It has a catchy name....

4. Nov 21, 2007 #3
    [tex]\frac{-h bar^{2}}{2m}[/tex] [tex]\frac{d^2\psi}{dx^2}[/tex] = (E - V[tex]_{0}[/tex])[tex]\psi[/tex]

So thats the schrodinger equation for when the energy is less than V0 I think...

Then to show the probability density...

P(x) = [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\psi[/tex](x)* [tex]\psi[/tex](x) = 1

I have no idea what to do next...

5. Nov 21, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, so the schrodinger equation is psi''=k*psi, where k is a positive constant. What do the solutions to that equation look like?

6. Nov 22, 2007 #5
    The solutions are of the form

[tex]\psi[/tex] = Ae[tex]^{ikx}[/tex] + Be[tex]^{-ikx}[/tex]

7. Nov 23, 2007 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Noooo. The k in psi''=k*psi is real and positive. How about A*exp(sqrt(k)*x)+B*exp(-sqrt(k)*x)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?