How Do You Calculate the Resistance of a Spherical Resistor?

• Thread starter stunner5000pt
  • Start date
In summary: That would give you j = -\frac {1}{\rho} \frac {\delta V}{\delta r} which is the resistance between the surfaces.
stunner5000pt
There is a spherical resistor witn an inner radius a and outer radius of b. The outer surface and the inner surface are covered with conducting sheets. Find the resistance betwen the two surfaces assuming uniform resistivity [tex] \rho [/tex]

WELL

I know [tex] R = \rho \frac{L}{A} [/tex]
If i divided the sphere into many cylinders then each cylinder would have a length of (b-a) and then the area would be ab times the radius (b-a)?

so then i end up with [tex] R = \rho \frac{1}{(b-a)ab} [/tex]

but that isn't right because i know the answer has something to do with 4pi? plase help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is an example of a continuous distribution of resistive material. That should give you a hint of using calculus. So instead of R = rho * L/A you will get

[tex]dR = \rho\frac{dL}{A}[/tex]

and proceed.

maverick280857 said:
This is an example of a continuous distribution of resistive material. That should give you a hint of using calculus. So instead of R = rho * L/A you will get

[tex]dR = \rho\frac{dL}{A}[/tex]

and proceed.

but what is the expression for A? area of this box would be (b-a) times ...??

From first principles the current density j (current per unit area) is

[tex]j = \sigma E = -\frac {1}{\rho} \frac {\delta V}{\delta r}[/tex]

where [itex]\sigma = 1/\rho[/itex] is the conductivity. Now

[tex]j = \frac {I}{4\pi r^2}[/tex]

for your problem and it follows that

[tex]\Delta V = -\int_{a}^{b} \frac {\rho I}{4 \pi r^2} \delta r[/tex]

or

[tex]\Delta V = \frac {\rho I}{4 \pi} \left( \frac {1}{a} - \frac {1}{b}\right)[/tex]

The resistance is just the right hand side divided by I. Notice that in your original expression the units are not correct which is a hint that something was amiss.

Tide said:
From first principles the current density j (current per unit area) is

[tex]j = \sigma E = -\frac {1}{\rho} \frac {\delta V}{\delta r}[/tex]

where [itex]\sigma = 1/\rho[/itex] is the conductivity. Now

[tex]j = \frac {I}{4\pi r^2}[/tex]

for your problem and it follows that

[tex]\Delta V = -\int_{a}^{b} \frac {\rho I}{4 \pi r^2} \delta r[/tex]

or

[tex]\Delta V = \frac {\rho I}{4 \pi} \left( \frac {1}{a} - \frac {1}{b}\right)[/tex]

The resistance is just the right hand side divided by I. Notice that in your original expression the units are not correct which is a hint that something was amiss.

thank you very much!
that wasn't an approach i was thinking about but it works , and how!

thank you very much again!

The dR approach is equivalent to Tide's approach. When I gave you the hint to use calculus, you should've realized that I am referring to the area of a spherical surface which would be 4pi (r squared).

1. How can I get help with a specific question?

There are several ways to get help with a specific question. You can ask a colleague or classmate for assistance, consult a textbook or online resource, or reach out to a teacher or tutor for guidance.

2. Can you provide the answer to this question?

As a scientist, my role is to provide information and resources to help you find the answer to your question. I cannot simply give you the answer, but I can offer guidance and direction to help you find it yourself.

3. What is the best way to phrase a question to get helpful answers?

The best way to phrase a question is to be clear and specific about what information you are seeking. Avoid using jargon or vague language, and provide any relevant background information that may help others understand your question better.

4. How can I improve my critical thinking skills when trying to solve a problem or answer a question?

One way to improve critical thinking skills is to practice regularly by solving problems and answering questions in your field. You can also seek out challenging and thought-provoking tasks, and actively seek feedback and input from others to expand your perspectives.

5. What should I do if I am still unable to find the answer to my question?

If you have exhausted all available resources and are still unable to find the answer to your question, it may be helpful to reach out to a mentor or expert in your field for guidance. You can also consider breaking down your question into smaller, more manageable parts and approaching it from different angles.