1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help me with this question!

1. Nov 4, 2004 #1
    There is a spherical resistor witn an inner radius a and outer radius of b. The outer surface and the inner surface are covered with conducting sheets. Find the resistance betwen the two surfaces assuming uniform resistivity [tex] \rho [/tex]

I know [tex] R = \rho \frac{L}{A} [/tex]
    If i divided the sphere into many cylinders then each cylinder would have a length of (b-a) and then the area would be ab times the radius (b-a)?

so then i end up with [tex] R = \rho \frac{1}{(b-a)ab} [/tex]

but that isnt right because i know the answer has someting to do with 4pi? plase help!
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2004 #2
    This is an example of a continuous distribution of resistive material. That should give you a hint of using calculus. So instead of R = rho * L/A you will get

[tex]dR = \rho\frac{dL}{A}[/tex]

and proceed.
  4. Nov 4, 2004 #3
    but what is the expression for A? area of this box would be (b-a) times ....??
  5. Nov 5, 2004 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

From first principles the current density j (current per unit area) is

[tex]j = \sigma E = -\frac {1}{\rho} \frac {\delta V}{\delta r}[/tex]

where [itex]\sigma = 1/\rho[/itex] is the conductivity. Now

[tex]j = \frac {I}{4\pi r^2}[/tex]

for your problem and it follows that

[tex]\Delta V = -\int_{a}^{b} \frac {\rho I}{4 \pi r^2} \delta r[/tex]

[tex]\Delta V = \frac {\rho I}{4 \pi} \left( \frac {1}{a} - \frac {1}{b}\right)[/tex]

The resistance is just the right hand side divided by I. Notice that in your original expression the units are not correct which is a hint that something was amiss.
  6. Nov 5, 2004 #5
    thank you very much!
    that wasn't an approach i was thinking about but it works , and how!

thank you very much again!
  7. Nov 5, 2004 #6
    The dR approach is equivalent to Tide's approach. When I gave you the hint to use calculus, you should've realized that I am referring to the area of a spherical surface which would be 4pi (r squared).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?