Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Please help me with this question!

1. Nov 4, 2004 #1
    There is a spherical resistor witn an inner radius a and outer radius of b. The outer surface and the inner surface are covered with conducting sheets. Find the resistance betwen the two surfaces assuming uniform resistivity [tex] \rho [/tex]

WELL

I know [tex] R = \rho \frac{L}{A} [/tex]
    If i divided the sphere into many cylinders then each cylinder would have a length of (b-a) and then the area would be ab times the radius (b-a)?

so then i end up with [tex] R = \rho \frac{1}{(b-a)ab} [/tex]

but that isnt right because i know the answer has someting to do with 4pi? plase help!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2004 #2
    This is an example of a continuous distribution of resistive material. That should give you a hint of using calculus. So instead of R = rho * L/A you will get

[tex]dR = \rho\frac{dL}{A}[/tex]

and proceed.

4. Nov 4, 2004 #3
    but what is the expression for A? area of this box would be (b-a) times ....??

5. Nov 5, 2004 #4

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

From first principles the current density j (current per unit area) is

[tex]j = \sigma E = -\frac {1}{\rho} \frac {\delta V}{\delta r}[/tex]

where [itex]\sigma = 1/\rho[/itex] is the conductivity. Now

[tex]j = \frac {I}{4\pi r^2}[/tex]

for your problem and it follows that

[tex]\Delta V = -\int_{a}^{b} \frac {\rho I}{4 \pi r^2} \delta r[/tex]

or

[tex]\Delta V = \frac {\rho I}{4 \pi} \left( \frac {1}{a} - \frac {1}{b}\right)[/tex]

The resistance is just the right hand side divided by I. Notice that in your original expression the units are not correct which is a hint that something was amiss.

6. Nov 5, 2004 #5
    thank you very much!
    that wasn't an approach i was thinking about but it works , and how!

thank you very much again!

7. Nov 5, 2004 #6
    The dR approach is equivalent to Tide's approach. When I gave you the hint to use calculus, you should've realized that I am referring to the area of a spherical surface which would be 4pi (r squared).

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook