How Do You Determine if a Series Converges Absolutely or Conditionally?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of convergence in a series and the use of different tests, such as the p-series test and the alternating sequence test, to determine if a series converges or not. It is important to understand the conditions and limitations of each test before applying them. Additionally, it is stated that if a series converges absolutely, there is no need to test for conditional convergence.
sun1234
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/z468bYHn_-Ufcp0M_XFbTgUtEL2qDzNUZSRgjU3Qz8ZcFj8pMg5k7Ip9i9EejHNPdBQc3EltXrAI2Ck=w1342-h587

Physics news on Phys.org
Just because the ##n##th term converges to ##0##, doesn't mean the series converges. Unless you can explain better why it might imply this in this case.

And the ##p##-test only works for positive series (a series whose terms are positive).

That's what I think of. Also how do you know when to test for absolute converges and conditional converges? Thank you for trying to help.

sun1234 said:
That's what I think of.
Also how do you know when to test for absolute converges and conditional converges?
Instead of answering that question, I think it would be a good idea for you to step back and take a closer look at the two tests you used, the p-series test and what you call the "nth term test."
As already stated, the p-series applies only to series consisting of positive terms. You also misused the other test that you used. What exactly does that test say?

sun1234 said:
That's what I think of. Also how do you know when to test for absolute converges and conditional converges? Thank you for trying to help.
If a series "converges absolutely" then there is no point in asking if it converges conditionally. So it would seem to make sense to first try to show that a series converges absolutely and only if it doesn't try to show that it converges conditionally.

One test you do not mention is the "alternating sequence test": if, for [itex]a_n> 0[/itex], [itex]\lim_{n\to 0} a_n= 0[/itex] then [itex]\sum (-1)^n a_n[/itex] converges.

1. What is a series test?

A series test is a mathematical tool used to determine whether a series converges or diverges. It is a method of evaluating infinite series, which are sums of infinitely many terms.

2. Why do I need to use a series test?

Series tests are important because they allow us to determine the behavior of a series without having to calculate the infinite sum. This can save time and provide a more efficient way of solving mathematical problems.

3. How do I know which series test to use?

There are many different types of series tests, each with its own set of conditions. The best way to determine which test to use is to first check for any obvious patterns in the series, and then refer to a list of common series tests to see which one is applicable.

4. What are some common series tests?

Some common series tests include the geometric series test, the integral test, the comparison test, and the ratio test. There are also more advanced tests such as the alternating series test and the root test.

5. Can I use multiple series tests on the same series?

Yes, it is possible to use multiple series tests on the same series. In fact, it is often necessary to use more than one test to fully determine the convergence or divergence of a series. It is important to keep in mind that each test may have different conditions and may not always give the same result.