Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help me with this series test. Thank you.

1. Apr 25, 2015 #1
    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/z468bYHn_-Ufcp0M_XFbTgUtEL2qDzNUZSRgjU3Qz8ZcFj8pMg5k7Ip9i9EejHNPdBQc3EltXrAI2Ck=w1342-h587

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2015 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Just because the ##n##th term converges to ##0##, doesn't mean the series converges. Unless you can explain better why it might imply this in this case.

4. Apr 25, 2015 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

And the ##p##-test only works for positive series (a series whose terms are positive).

5. Apr 25, 2015 #4
    That's what I think of. Also how do you know when to test for absolute converges and conditional converges? Thank you for trying to help.

6. Apr 25, 2015 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Instead of answering that question, I think it would be a good idea for you to step back and take a closer look at the two tests you used, the p-series test and what you call the "nth term test."
    As already stated, the p-series applies only to series consisting of positive terms. You also misused the other test that you used. What exactly does that test say?

7. Apr 26, 2015 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If a series "converges absolutely" then there is no point in asking if it converges conditionally. So it would seem to make sense to first try to show that a series converges absolutely and only if it doesn't try to show that it converges conditionally.

One test you do not mention is the "alternating sequence test": if, for [itex]a_n> 0[/itex], [itex]\lim_{n\to 0} a_n= 0[/itex] then [itex]\sum (-1)^n a_n[/itex] converges.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook