1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help me with this Taylor series!

1. Nov 30, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the Maclaurin series of the function f(x) = 5(x^2)sin(5x)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm supposed to enter in c3-c7
    I already know that c4 and c6 are 0 because the derivative is something*sin(0)=0

but for the odd numbered c's I am having problems...
    i know that the taylor series for sinx = [tex]\sum[/tex]((-1^n)*x^(2n+1))/(2n+1)!
    so i just substituted in 5x and multiplied by 5x^2 and got
    5 [tex]\sum[/tex] ((-1^n)*(5^(2n+1)*x^(2n+3))/(2n+1)!

so for c3 i got 5(-1^3)(5^7)/(7)! = -5^8/7!
    but I am not getting the answer right for this. Can someone please explain what I am doing wrong.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2007 #2

Science Advisor

c3 corresponds to n=0 in your series, not n=3 (because you have x^(2n+3), not x^n).
  4. Nov 30, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Putting n=3 in your formula does not give you c3. It gives you c9. If you want to find ck then the power of x in the formula should be k. The power of x in the formula is 2n+3. So if you want to find c3 set 2n+3=3. You want n=0.
  5. Nov 30, 2007 #4
    Wow, thank you guys! That actually makes sense. I asked my teacher and he wasn't much help, but I guess he didn't know that I was plugging in the wrong n's. I have the right answers now. Thanks again :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?