1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help me with this wire problem

1. Dec 5, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A piece of wire 10ft long is cut into two pieces. One piece is bent into the shape of a circle and the other into the shape of a square. How should the wire be cut so that the combined area of the two figures is as small as possible

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    radius=r and side of the square=s
    answer: r = 5/(pi+4) and s =10/(pi+4)

I have the answer but I don't know how should I do it.... Please help
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2006 #2
    should that be
  4. Dec 5, 2006 #3

Homework Helper

Write down the equations for the area of a circle and the area of a square. The area of the circle has the parameter r (the radius) and the area of the square has the parameter s (the side of the square). Find the connection between these parameters and between the parameters a and b which represent the two cut pieces of the wire. Further on, create a sum A(a, b) = A1(a) + A2(b). Then plug in the relation between a and b (i.e. a + b = 10). Then you'll get the total area in a single variable, A(a) = ... (or A(b), doesn't matter). Differentiate with respect to that variable and set equal to zero.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?