Calculating Gravitational Potential Energy: A to B

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the gravitational potential of points A and B on the surface of the Earth and 1000km above it, as well as the energy expended to move an object between these points. The equations used are the gravitational potential energy equation and the gravitational potential due to a point mass equation. The calculations provided appear to be correct.
natural
Forces & Fields

(a) calculate the gravatational potential pf a point A on the surface of the Earth
(b) what is the gravatational potential of a point B, 1000km above A?
(c) How much energy is expended if an object of mass 10kg were to just reach point B from A?

I know the eq. for gravatational potential energy is U=-GMm/r ...but what do i use as my 2nd mass ? :confused: please help I am really lost :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a difference between gravitational potential and gravitational potential energy.

Gravitational potential is the potential energy per unit mass of an object due to its position in a gravitational field. The gravitational potential due to a point mass:

Eg = -GM/r, where M is the mass of the object responsible for the gravitational field, whereas

gravitational potential energy is given by

mEg = -GMm/r

Please refer to this page - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/gpot.html

and the following plates including - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/gpot.html#gpi .

Last edited:
Are my calculations correct? just want to make sure>
a) -6.67*10^11 * 5.98*10^24/6.37*10^6 = -6.26*10^29

b)-6.67*10^11 * 5.98*10^24/ 6.37*10^6+1000*10^3 = -5.41*10^29

C)-6.67*10^11*5.98*10^24*10/6.37*10^6+1000*10^3 = -5.41*10^30

1. How is gravitational potential energy calculated?

Gravitational potential energy is calculated using the formula potential energy = mass x gravity x height. This formula takes into account the mass of the object, the acceleration due to gravity, and the height from which the object is dropped.

2. What is the unit for gravitational potential energy?

The unit for gravitational potential energy is joules (J). This unit is the same as for other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy.

3. How does the height of an object affect its gravitational potential energy?

The higher an object is lifted, the greater its gravitational potential energy. This is because the higher the object is, the more work was done in lifting it against the force of gravity. Therefore, the higher the object, the more potential energy it possesses.

4. How does the mass of an object affect its gravitational potential energy?

The greater the mass of an object, the greater its gravitational potential energy. This is because the formula for gravitational potential energy includes the mass of the object. Therefore, the more massive an object is, the more potential energy it possesses.

5. Can gravitational potential energy be negative?

Yes, gravitational potential energy can be negative. This occurs when an object is at a lower height than the reference point. In this case, the potential energy is considered to be "below" the reference point, and is represented as a negative value.