Finding Square & Cube Roots by Hand

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about finding the square root and cube root of a number by hand. Two methods are mentioned, one involving repeatedly dividing and averaging numbers, and the other using long division. The conversation also mentions a website and a platform called Mindzinger that can provide solutions to various problems.
davidavid
Hello friends,
I am studying in 10th class. Actually I have a question and I’m unable to solve this question. My question is: How can we find the square root of a number by hand? How about cube roots? If anybody can solve my question I will grateful. Thanks in advance!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
There are several methods, rather difficult to explain in this small area but here is a website that explains two:
http://www.homeschoolmath.net/teaching/square-root-algorithm.php

The first one is cute: on the face of it, it looks straight forward: to find [itex]\sqrt{a}[/itex] pick a starting number, x0, and divide it into a. If the quotient is larger than a, then the initial "guess", a0, is too small so pick x1 half way between x0 and a/x0[/sub]. Keep doing that, taking xn+1 = (xn+ a/xn)/2, until two succeeding value of x are the same to however many decimal places you want. It turns out that that method is what you get by applying "Newton's Method" to the f(x)= x2- a, but that may be deeper than you want to go.

There is also an algorithm for extracting roots based on long division. A link: http://www.nist.gov/dads/HTML/squareRoot.html. This algorithm was taught extensively in schools before the advent of calculators.

davidavid said:
Hello friends,
I am studying in 10th class. Actually I have a question and I’m unable to solve this question. My question is: How can we find the square root of a number by hand? How about cube roots? If anybody can solve my question I will grateful. Thanks in advance!

Hi,
I’m studying in 12th class. I can solve your question easily but I don’t have time for that so I would recommend you for a place called mindzinger where you can get any solution any time and regularly. I got it when was in 10th class. I used mindzinger and I got distinction in mathematics. It’s really nice place for getting solutions for all categories. Hope this will help you.
Good luck!

Last edited:

What is the process for finding square and cube roots by hand?

The process for finding square and cube roots by hand involves using mathematical operations to determine the number that, when multiplied by itself (in the case of square roots) or multiplied by itself twice (in the case of cube roots), results in the given number. This process can be done through various methods such as trial and error, prime factorization, and estimation.

Why is it important to know how to find square and cube roots by hand?

Knowing how to find square and cube roots by hand is important because it helps build a strong foundation in mathematical understanding and problem-solving. It also allows for a better understanding of more complex mathematical concepts and can be useful in everyday life situations such as calculating area and volume.

What are some strategies for finding square and cube roots by hand?

Some strategies for finding square and cube roots by hand include using prime factorization, estimation, and the long division method. Other techniques such as the Babylonian method and the digit-by-digit method can also be used.

Can all numbers have a square or cube root?

Yes, all numbers have a square root and a cube root. However, not all numbers have a rational square or cube root. Some numbers, such as √2 and ³√5, are irrational and cannot be expressed as a fraction or a decimal with a finite number of digits.

How does finding square and cube roots by hand relate to other mathematical concepts?

Finding square and cube roots by hand is related to other mathematical concepts such as exponents, powers, and logarithms. The process of finding square and cube roots can also be applied to solving equations and simplifying radicals. Additionally, understanding square and cube roots can lead to a deeper understanding of the properties and patterns of numbers.