Will I Be Admitted to IISc for MSc-PhD Physics Course?

In summary, the individual is seeking help for the IISc entrance exam for the Physics MSc-PhD course. They are concerned about the criteria of having a minimum of 60% in university exams and their performance in a final exam due to illness. They are unsure if they will be allowed to take the exam or if they should prepare for it. They have received conflicting information from a senior and are looking for advice. They also mention additional achievements that they hope will strengthen their application.
neelakash
I am asking a question...hope that someone could help me.

I plan to sit in IISc examination for Physics MSc-PhD course entrance to be held in 2008.
They have a criteriaon that one has to score atleast 60% in university exam.IISc exam is held before our final year (3rd year) examination.

Now,I am in Kolkata University where there is no semester system in undergrad level.We had to appear a final exam after a course of 2 years.(In India,Bachelor degree is a three years course).We have yet another final exam left.

I do not know what should I call this.After doing fairly good in my college althrough,I did not do at all good in the final exam.I fell ill at the time of exam and made a mess of it.However,I hope to manage around 60% in the exam including my pass(subsidiary) course subjects...

My question is will they allow me to get into there?I know I have still an examination left and that I have fair chance to do good in that.But,I heard from a senior(who tried but was not successful in the exam) that in such cases they allow to go upto the interview(which is taken after a written test),but they discard the students after that.

I think I could make the problem clear.I do not know there exact rule...and the senior told me that even if the rule is that they should check the marks of 3 year course,in practice,they consider only the marks of part I.

In that case what should I do?Should I prepare myself anyway for the exam or should I leave this...

Some additional points that might help my condition...
I achieved JBNSTS scholarship and also doing a project under the NIUS programme(TIFR).Please let me know should I give hope up to get through the examination?I am truly very much keen to make it...

Please help...I am waiting for responses...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Disclaimer: Take my comments with a bag of salt.

I have never attempted the IISc entrance exam, but I see no reason why you have to "leave" it. As long as you're interested in pursuing further studies in the field and score good marks on a good day, I don't see why would have a lesser chance of getting admitted than someone else. You can show your mettle in the tests and interview, if you're good. As you say, you still have your final exam to make amends, and you have time to prepare and do well in the entrance, as well. It's not like they're going to eat you if you don't fair well. :biggrin: At the least, you would have gained some experience writing an entrance test such as the IISc's.

I am unable to provide a definitive answer to whether or not you will be admitted to IISc for the MSc-PhD Physics course. Admissions decisions are ultimately made by the admissions committee based on a variety of factors, including academic performance, entrance exam scores, and other qualifications.

However, based on the information you have provided, it seems that you may have a chance of being admitted if you are able to meet the minimum 60% requirement in your final exam and perform well on the entrance exam. Your achievements in JBNSTS and NIUS may also work in your favor.

I would suggest that you continue to prepare for the entrance exam and do your best in your final exam. It is important to have a positive attitude and not give up hope. If you are truly passionate about pursuing a MSc-PhD in Physics at IISc, then you should continue to work towards that goal and not let any setbacks discourage you.

Additionally, I would recommend reaching out to the admissions committee at IISc to clarify their specific requirements and any concerns you may have about your academic record. They may be able to provide you with more specific information and advice.

Overall, I wish you all the best in your academic pursuits and hope that you are able to achieve your goal of being admitted to IISc for the MSc-PhD Physics course.

1. What are the eligibility criteria for admission to the MSc-PhD Physics course at IISc?

The eligibility criteria for admission to the MSc-PhD Physics course at IISc include a bachelor's degree in Physics or a related field with a minimum of 60% marks, and a valid score in national level entrance exams such as JAM or JEST.

2. Is there an age limit for applying to the MSc-PhD Physics course at IISc?

No, there is no age limit for applying to the MSc-PhD Physics course at IISc. As long as the applicant meets the eligibility criteria, they can apply for admission.

3. What is the selection process for the MSc-PhD Physics course at IISc?

The selection process for the MSc-PhD Physics course at IISc involves a written test followed by an interview. The written test consists of multiple-choice questions and short answer questions based on undergraduate level Physics topics. Shortlisted candidates are then called for an interview, where their knowledge, research aptitude, and communication skills are evaluated.

4. Are international students eligible for admission to the MSc-PhD Physics course at IISc?

Yes, international students are eligible for admission to the MSc-PhD Physics course at IISc. They must have a valid score in national level entrance exams and meet the eligibility criteria. However, they may have to fulfill additional requirements such as proof of proficiency in English.

5. How many seats are available for the MSc-PhD Physics course at IISc?

The number of seats available for the MSc-PhD Physics course at IISc varies each year. Generally, there are around 15-20 seats available for this course. However, the exact number may change depending on various factors such as the availability of faculty and funding.