1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help me

1. Oct 16, 2007 #1
    i m hashim i want to solve a qquestion
    1.if x is rational & y is irrational proof x+y is irrational???
    2. if x not equal to zero...y irrational proof x\y is irrational??
    3.if x,y is irrational ..dose it implise to x+y is irrational or x*y is irrational

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2007 #2
    1. is easy, what have you tried so far?
    2. Do you mean x/y? And is x supposed to be rational? If not then 2 is false.
  4. Oct 16, 2007 #3
    1. since x rational we can write it as p/q, where they cannot be simplifyed anymore.
    suppose now that x+y is rational,
    so it also can be written like r/s, where r,s are integers
    so x+y=r/s,

p/q +y=r/s , y=r/s -p/q, so we come to a contradiction, since the right hand of the equation is also a rational, but it contradicts the fact that y is irrational, so our first assumtion that x+y is rational is wrong.
  5. Oct 16, 2007 #4
    3. for the it looks like trivial.
  6. Oct 16, 2007 #5
    what it mean????

& where num 2 proof

7. Oct 16, 2007 #6
    well, i am not going to show u the whole proof for the last one. But try to reason the same way i did on problem 1.
  8. Oct 16, 2007 #7
    mr sutupidmath ....
    czn u say my proof for 2
    since x non zerc, so x either rational or irrational
    i. if x rational & x non zero.......
    x =p\q wher p,q is intger...
    y is irrational.
    now suppose x\y is rastional
    x\y=r\s....r,s is integer.
    y=(s\r)*(p\q).....which is rational....contradict
    ii. x is irratinal, x non zero....y irrational
    suppose x\y = r\s
    x = r\s*y.........how to continue now?????

please help me???
  9. Oct 17, 2007 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The way you have stated it, "2. if x not equal to zero...y irrational proof x\y is irrational", it's NOT true! For example, [itex]\pi/\pi= 1[/itex]. The ratio of two irrational numbers certainly can be rational. You probably meant: If x is a rational number, not equal to 0, and y is irrational, then x/y is irrational. For all of these, you don't need to go back to the definition of rational numbers as m/n. Use the fact that the rational numberse are closed under the operations of addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division (with divisor not 0).
  10. Oct 17, 2007 #9
  11. Oct 17, 2007 #10
  12. Oct 17, 2007 #11
    ok then, what could we say as a conclusion at this case. Because obviously we cannot conclude that at any case when x and y are irrational x/y is rational. FOr example, sqr3/sqr2 is irrational, or sqr6/sqr3, is obviously irrational.
  13. Oct 17, 2007 #12
    You can't say anything, sometimes it's rational, sometimes it isn't.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?