Collision of Two Trucks: Calculate Combined Velocity After Inelastic Collision

• Thread starter teggenspiller
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, the problem posed is about two trucks with the same mass moving towards each other at different speeds. After a completely inelastic collision, the combined speed of the trucks can be calculated using the equations for momentum. The final answer is 10 mi/h, but there was some discussion and confusion about the placement of the mass in the equation.
teggenspiller

Homework Statement

Two trucks with the same masses are moving toward each other along a straight line with speeds of 50 mi/h and 60 mi/h. What is the speed of combined trucks after completely inelastic collision?
i assume the 50m/s is moving east, while 60m/s mass is moving west. That would make their final combined velocity

pi=1*50
p2= 1*(-60)
50+(-60)= -1 <--i put this negative one here, cause that's what you did.
10mi/h

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

pi=1*50
p2= 1*(-60)
50+(-60)= -1 <--i put this negative one here, i think that's right
10mi/h
which is actually wrong..

Physics news on Phys.org
hi teggenspiller! :smile:

you didn't put any mass on the RHS of your equation :redface:

tiny-tim!
-I Did! that's what the 1 is for in 1*50..
is that wrong?

hi teggenspiller! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)

isn't that a part of the LHS? :confused:

on the RHS you should have the mass of two trucks :wink:

The correct way to calculate the combined velocity after an inelastic collision is to use the conservation of momentum equation:
m1v1 + m2v2 = (m1 + m2)v
where m1 and m2 are the masses of the trucks and v1 and v2 are their initial velocities.
In this case, both trucks have the same mass, so we can simplify the equation to:
v = (v1 + v2)/2
Substituting in the values given in the problem, we get:
v = (50 mi/h + 60 mi/h)/2 = 55 mi/h
Therefore, the combined velocity of the two trucks after the collision would be 55 mi/h.
It is important to note that this is the velocity of the center of mass of the combined system, and the individual velocities of the trucks may change after the collision. This calculation assumes that the collision is perfectly inelastic, meaning that the two trucks stick together after the collision and move with the same velocity. In reality, there may be some loss of kinetic energy during the collision, resulting in a slightly lower combined velocity.

What is momentum?

Momentum is a physical quantity that measures the motion of an object. It is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity.

How is momentum different from velocity?

Velocity only measures the speed and direction of an object, while momentum takes into account the object's mass as well.

What is the formula for calculating momentum?

The formula for momentum is p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

How is momentum conserved in a closed system?

In a closed system, the total momentum before an interaction or event is equal to the total momentum after the interaction or event. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum.

What are some real-life examples of momentum?

Some examples of momentum in everyday life include a bowling ball knocking down pins, a car colliding with another car, or a soccer ball being kicked by a player.