Momentum Question: Calculating Velocity on a Rolling Platform

• Thread starter runningirl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where Stevie is standing on a rolling platform and starts moving at a constant velocity. The platform and Stevie have different masses and are both moving in opposite directions. The answers to the given questions can be found using the equation of momentum. The platform's velocity relative to the floor is -0.43 m/s and Stevie's velocity relative to the floor is +0.77 m/s. The main concept being discussed is the effect of friction on the movement of objects.
runningirl

Homework Statement

Stevie stands on a rolling platform designed for moving heavy objects. The platform has mass of 76 kg and is on a flat floor, supported by rolling wheels that can be considered to be frictionless. Stevie's mass is 43 kg. The platform and Stevie are stationary when she begins walking at a constant velocity of +1.2 m/s relative to the platform. (a) What is the platform's velocity relative to the floor? (b) What is Stevie's velocity relative to the floor?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

the answers are supposed to be:
a)-.43 m/s
b) .77 m/s

i don't understand how they got this. but my main question is what do they mean in REGARDS TO?

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The frictional force from Stevie's shoes will move her forward. The frictionless platform has no friction and will move in the opposite direction.

Both questions will be solved by equation of momentum (i.e., [itex]m_1v_1=m_2v_2[/itex]).

A) Stevie is moving at +1.2 m/s and her movement causes the platform to move. The moving platform has Stevie standing on it so you will have to account for both masses and also the fact that it is moving in the opposite direction of Stevie.

B) The platform has a mass and is moving at the velocity you found in part A. Stevie has a mass and is moving in the opposite direction of the platform.

Last edited:
i know this sounds dumb, but I'm not sure what to do with what you told me :(

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is defined as the product of its mass and velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is momentum calculated?

Momentum (p) is calculated by multiplying an object's mass (m) by its velocity (v), represented by the equation p = mv.

3. What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant over time. This means that in the absence of external forces, the total momentum before an event will be equal to the total momentum after the event.

4. How does momentum relate to Newton's laws of motion?

Momentum is closely related to Newton's laws of motion. The first law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion with constant velocity unless acted upon by a net external force. The second law relates the net force to the change in momentum, and the third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

5. How does momentum affect collisions?

In a collision between two objects, the total momentum of the system before and after the collision must be equal. This means that if one object gains momentum, the other object must lose an equal amount of momentum. This conservation of momentum can be used to analyze and predict the outcomes of collisions.