What happens to motion when the derivative of radial vector is negative?

• Thread starter stunner5000pt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the equation of a radial vector with respect to time and its differentiation to find the velocity. The velocity is positive if the value of r'(t=0) is positive, and negative if the value is negative. The subsequent motion is also mentioned, taking into account the polar angle given by an exponential function. The question then addresses the confusion about the concept of velocity in higher dimensions. This conversation is continued from a previous discussion on a similar topic.
stunner5000pt
Please help! Motion problem

Suppose one found the equation of a radial vector with respect to time.
Then if one were to differentiate it with respct to time and find the value of r'(t=0)
suppose that was value was positive then the velocity is positive
if negaitve then the velocity is negative
but what about the subsequent motion? keep in mind that the r(phi) where phi si the polar angle is given by an exp function.
I understand that if r'(0) > 0 then it will proceed with positive displacement
but hwat about the negative??

this is a follow on from this question https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=106913

Physics news on Phys.org
I am confused by your question. Are you working in one dimension here? If so then the polar angle is fixed. And if not then it makes no sense to talk about the sign of the velocity. What is the sign of the [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex] vector [itex]<-1,3>[/itex]? You can't define it because [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex] vectors aren't ordered like the reals are.

By the way stunner, these threads that you've been posting in Introductory Physics would acutally qualify as Advanced Physics, so I'm moving them. I think you will have better luck getting responses here.

1. How do I solve a motion problem?

Solving a motion problem involves understanding the basic principles of motion, such as velocity, acceleration, and distance. The first step is to identify what is known and unknown in the problem and choose an appropriate formula to solve for the unknown variable. It is also important to pay attention to units and use the correct formula consistently throughout the problem.

2. What are the common formulas used in solving motion problems?

The most commonly used formulas in solving motion problems are the formula for distance (d = v * t), velocity (v = d/t), and acceleration (a = Δv/Δt). These formulas can be rearranged to solve for any of the variables, depending on what is known in the problem.

3. How do I determine which formula to use in a motion problem?

The formula used in a motion problem depends on what is known and unknown in the problem. If the problem involves distance, velocity, and time, then the formula for distance can be used. If the problem involves acceleration, then the formula for acceleration should be used. It is important to carefully read the problem and identify the given information before choosing a formula.

4. What is the difference between speed and velocity in a motion problem?

Speed and velocity are often used interchangeably, but they have different meanings in physics. Speed refers to the rate at which an object is moving, while velocity refers to the rate at which an object is moving in a specific direction. In motion problems, speed is usually represented by "v" and velocity is represented by "v" with a direction (e.g. 10 m/s east).

5. How can I check my answer in a motion problem?

To check your answer in a motion problem, you can plug your values back into the original formula and see if both sides of the equation are equal. You can also use common sense and estimation to see if your answer makes sense in the context of the problem. If possible, you can also use a calculator or online tool to verify your calculations.