Please help need before midnight

• Thread starter merceb49
  • Start date
In summary, this conversation involves two different problems - one involving a toy car falling off a table and the other involving an arrow being shot at an angle. The solution to both problems involves using formulas related to projectile motion, such as v0x = v0 * cos(theta) and v0y = v0 * sin(theta). By plugging in the given values for velocity, angle, and acceleration due to gravity, the height and time for the car falling off the table and the maximum height and distance for the arrow can be calculated. Additional help may be found in a textbook or online resources.
merceb49
A toy car runs off the edge of a table that is 1.325 m high. The car lands 0.425 m from the base of the table.
How long did it take for the car to fall off the table?
How fast was the car going when it fell off the table?

and

An arrow is shot at 30.0° above the horizontal. Its initial speed is 49 m/s and it hits the target.
What is the maximum height the arrow will attain?
The target is at the height from which the arrow was shot. How far away is it?

I was gone when my teacher went over this and my tutor did not understand this. PLEASE ANYONE I need suggestions hints anything to help me get these 4 questions correct. this is make or brake, please help soon. Please

Physics news on Phys.org
They are called projectile motion problems. Likely you can find an example in your text or on the web. Basically you
separate the initial velocity into horizontal and vertical parts. Then write two headings:
Horizontal and Vertical. Decide in each case whether you have constant speed or accelerated motion and write the appropriate formula(s). Put in the numbers or expressions for all known quantities and look for an equation you can solve.

If you have an initial velocity and an angle then you should be able to use you trig. to solve for this.

using trig gives me 24.5 and that is a velocity, not a measure of height.
I would have plugged into the appropriate formulas, the only problem is I do not know any necessary formulas. could i get some help with that?

merceb49 said:
using trig gives me 24.5 and that is a velocity, not a measure of height.
I would have plugged into the appropriate formulas, the only problem is I do not know any necessary formulas. could i get some help with that?

v_o * sin theta = y
v_o * cos theta = x

with that i get .3 and .9. i don't understand how trig will lead me to the height when all i have to measure with is a velocity

I think you don't understand the solutions posted above. Let's us consider again you problem. Arrow's initial speed is 49m/s with 300 from horizontal. From this, you have:

v0x = v0 * cos(theta) and v0y = v0 * sin(theta).

Horizontal speed is constant but vertical speed is not. Vertical speed will be decreased from highest value (v0y) to zero (when arrow reaches highest point in the air).

From textbook, you have: v(t)^2 - v0^2 = 2 * a * s(t) . In your problem, v(t) is vertical velocity of arrow at highest point s(t) ==> v(t) = 0. Acceleration is g (downward), meanwhile motion is upward ==> a = -g.

After you have s(t), you can find t ==> x = v0x * t

oh ok, and S is representing? physics is not my calling...

merceb49 said:
oh ok, and S is representing? physics is not my calling...

s=height

i thank you all for the help, i just don't understand this at all. thank you for the time

1. What happens if I don't get help before midnight?

If you do not get help before midnight, you may experience negative consequences such as missing a deadline or not being able to complete a task on time.

2. Why is it urgent to get help before midnight?

The urgency to get help before midnight may be due to a deadline or time-sensitive task that needs to be completed. It is important to meet the deadline or complete the task on time to avoid any negative consequences.

3. What kind of help do you need before midnight?

The type of help needed before midnight can vary depending on the situation. It could be assistance with a project, clarification on a task, or simply someone to talk to for support.

4. How can I help before midnight?

If you are willing to help, you can reach out to the person in need and ask how you can assist. You can also offer your expertise, advice, or resources to help them complete their task before midnight.

5. Is there a specific time before midnight that help is needed?

The specific time before midnight that help is needed may vary. It is best to communicate with the person in need and determine the urgency of their request. It is important to offer help as soon as possible to ensure they can meet their deadline or complete their task on time.