How Do Forces Affect Acceleration on a Frictionless Surface?

In summary, the 20 kg box on a frictionless surface has two horizontal forces acting on it. When the forces are in the same direction, the body accelerates at 11m/s^2. When they are in opposite directions, the body accelerates at 1m/s^2. Using Newton's law, force=mass x acceleration, we can find the magnitude of each force. The answer is 120 N and 100 N.
beocom6000yello
a 20 kg box is on frictionless surface acted on by two horizontal surfaces. when in same direction, it pulls 11 m/s but in opposite directions, it pulls only 1 m/s. determine magnitude of each force.
answer: 120 N , 100 N

okay...i need help with this. i am using Newtons law: force=mass x accelleration
i am trying to find force. mass is 20 kg and accelleration is 11 m/s. when i plug in that number, i get 220N. can someone please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
beocom6000yello said:
a 20 kg box is on frictionless surface acted on by two horizontal surfacesyou mean forces. when in same direction, it pullsyou mean accelerates 11 m/sm/s^2 but in opposite directions, it pulls only 1 m/s accelerates 1m/s^2. determine magnitude of each force.
answer: 120 N , 100 N

okay...i need help with this. i am using Newtons law: force=mass x accelleration
i am trying to find force. mass is 20 kg and accelleration is 11 m/s. when i plug in that number, i get 220N. can someone please help?
You've got a couple of typos here, as noted above. Otherwise, you have solved for the net force when the body is accelerating at 11m/s^2. 220N is the net force. It is the algebraic sum of the 2 forces. You need to look at the 1m/s^2 acceleration case to get another equation before you can solve for the individual forces.

Based on the given information, it seems that the 20 kg box is being pulled by two forces in opposite directions. We can use Newton's Second Law, F=ma, to solve for the magnitude of each force.

First, let's consider the scenario where the two forces are in the same direction, resulting in an acceleration of 11 m/s. Using F=ma, we can calculate the total force acting on the box as F=20 kg x 11 m/s^2 = 220 N. Since there are two forces acting in the same direction, we can divide the total force by 2 to get the magnitude of each force, which is 220 N / 2 = 110 N.

Now, let's consider the scenario where the two forces are in opposite directions, resulting in an acceleration of only 1 m/s. Using F=ma, we can calculate the total force acting on the box as F=20 kg x 1 m/s^2 = 20 N. Again, since there are two forces acting in opposite directions, we can divide the total force by 2 to get the magnitude of each force, which is 20 N / 2 = 10 N.

Therefore, the magnitude of each force in the first scenario is 110 N and in the second scenario is 10 N. It is important to note that the direction of the forces also plays a role in determining the resulting acceleration. In this case, the direction of the forces is changing, resulting in different accelerations and therefore different magnitudes of forces.

What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are a set of three physical laws that describe the relationship between an object's motion and the forces acting on it. They were developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century and are fundamental principles in the study of physics.

What is the first law of motion?

The first law of motion, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an unbalanced force.

What is the second law of motion?

The second law of motion, also known as the Law of Acceleration, states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be mathematically represented as F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

What is the third law of motion?

The third law of motion, also known as the Law of Action and Reaction, states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back on the first object.

How are Newton's Laws used in everyday life?

Newton's Laws are used in many aspects of our daily lives, from driving a car to playing sports. For example, the first law explains why objects stay still when we are not pushing or pulling them, and the second law helps us understand how much force is needed to accelerate or decelerate a car. The third law is also important in sports, as it explains the force generated when hitting a ball with a bat or racket.