PLEASE HELP: Newtons law question

a 20 kg box is on frictionless surface acted on by two horizontal surfaces. when in same direction, it pulls 11 m/s but in opposite directions, it pulls only 1 m/s. determine magnitude of each force.
answer: 120 N , 100 N

okay...i need help with this. i am using newtons law: force=mass x accelleration
i am trying to find force. mass is 20 kg and accelleration is 11 m/s. when i plug in that number, i get 220N. can someone please help?

Answers and Replies

PhanthomJay
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
a 20 kg box is on frictionless surface acted on by two horizontal surfacesyou mean forces. when in same direction, it pullsyou mean accelerates 11 m/sm/s^2 but in opposite directions, it pulls only 1 m/s accelerates 1m/s^2. determine magnitude of each force.
answer: 120 N , 100 N

okay...i need help with this. i am using newtons law: force=mass x accelleration
i am trying to find force. mass is 20 kg and accelleration is 11 m/s. when i plug in that number, i get 220N. can someone please help?
You've got a couple of typos here, as noted above. Otherwise, you have solved for the net force when the body is accelerating at 11m/s^2. 220N is the net force. It is the algebraic sum of the 2 forces. You need to look at the 1m/s^2 acceleration case to get another equation before you can solve for the individual forces.