1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PLEASE HELP: Newtons law question

1. Jan 28, 2008 #1
    a 20 kg box is on frictionless surface acted on by two horizontal surfaces. when in same direction, it pulls 11 m/s but in opposite directions, it pulls only 1 m/s. determine magnitude of each force.
    answer: 120 N , 100 N

okay...i need help with this. i am using newtons law: force=mass x accelleration
    i am trying to find force. mass is 20 kg and accelleration is 11 m/s. when i plug in that number, i get 220N. can someone please help?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2008 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You've got a couple of typos here, as noted above. Otherwise, you have solved for the net force when the body is accelerating at 11m/s^2. 220N is the net force. It is the algebraic sum of the 2 forces. You need to look at the 1m/s^2 acceleration case to get another equation before you can solve for the individual forces.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?